aafandi

Celiac And Hypoglycemia

Rate this topic

Hi...

I have been suffering from many different health conditions mainly with my digestive track. however, i have also had some depression and anxiety etc, but the most annoying ever is reactive hypoglycemia.

I have had 4 endoscopies and two colonoscopies all negative, only been diagnosed with gastritis.

so many doctors to see and blood work and other medical exams over seven years of suffering. Celiac has always been suspected but never proven until about two weeks ago through what a doctor in Germany calls advanced stool analysis. showing candida as well.

I have read so many threads on the other disscussion boards relating hypoglycemia to celiac disease according to people's experience and diagnostics.

I really want to know if anyone had reactive hypoglycemia along with their celiac that has been treated as a result of being on a gluten free diet. I've been on the diet for two weeks only and Doctor said it takes time to heal, so let's at least wait for six weeks, but he doesn't entirely believe that my hypoglycemia is totally related to celiac or gluten troubles. He said let's just wait.

Anyone please, if you had been hypo as well, did it go away at all, or isn't it related. If so how long on the diet till you see improvement??

I would love to go 4-5+ hours without being so light headed and weak and scared with 10 mood per minutes.

Thanks many :)

nope, going gluten free didn't change my hypoglycemia.

Keep your meals well balanced (I aimed for each meal to be close to 30% fat, 30% protein, 40% carbs, but 25%/25%/50% works fine too), and you'll find you can go longer and won't have as severe crashes. Keep food with you. And *plan* on eating every four or five hours (if you can go that long, 2 or 3 if not).

Keeping balanced meals, and getting regular moderate (not high intensity) aerobic exercise, will help reduce the frequency and intensity of blood sugar crashes for most (but not all) people.

thanks for the reply, i've read some posts with people who improved a lot on their hypo, some were totally gone. I hope mine goes away :)

First symptom was seizures at the age of 14. Tried meds but they all made it worse.

Went on a gluten-free, CF, SF, CF diet (as best possible with a teen) eliminated all additives etc.

Problem I was seeing was there was still a lot of sugar in the diet, and refined grain products.

Glucose tolerance test was finally approved after a year of asking and hypoglycemia was diagnosed. No suggestions as to what to do next, but was offered another drug to try. Turned that down.

Nutrition, elimination of foods, reduction of sugar products and being aware of protein and veggies during the day.

We have gone from 6 seizures per month on meds, to 4 months seizure free. Still working on it, but I definitely see health improving. Can't swear it is being gluten free, but knowing this is a better way to live, we continue to follow it. I personally think that severe reduction of grain products and high sugar fruits and potato, improve gut health. Thus reduces reactive hypoglycemia as well.

I am not a medical doctor, but I have kept extensive notes while learning to treat my daughter for the past 3.5 yrs.