AlexJ72

Just Had Another Lovely Visit With A Gastro

Rate this topic

gave him my whole history, told him about my constipation and after i specifically mentioned that I CANNOT have gluten he says "Oh well you should just increase your fiber for the constipation....have some raisin bran or wheaties" - LOL

He gave me a physical exam and said everything seemed fine and is setting me up for a liver/gallbladder ultrasound. He also wants to do an endoscopy, but I dont really see the purpose at this point since I am already gluten free

I really can't handle these imbecile MDs anymore

Sounds like many I have encountered before. "Eat More Fiber", "You are a healthy young person", dah dah dah. I do think that an endo would be beneficial in ruling out celiac or other possibilities though. It is virtually painless considering most of the time you are put asleep. I had no pain when I had one done in 2006. I will tell you that if you want to be checked for celiac damage you must do 8wks to 3 mos on gluten up to 6 slices a day of bread (or equivalent foods), and have them take mulltiple biopsies from various areas to assess possible damage. I had not been eating anything but ensure for a month when mine was done, so damage was probably less visible. They also only took 2 biopsies, and it could have been from an undamaged part inside me.

If you don't really feel the need for doctor confirmation - then by all means stay Gluten-Free. I agree some of the gastros have very little sympathy or knowledge in the subject. It may take you finding teh right one for your situation.

Good luck!

And I am very much a novice here...so some pros may weigh in and give you advice;)

What amazes me is that I printed out a detailed list of all my issues for the past few years and he just glanced it over and basically ignored everything that was on there

gave him my whole history, told him about my constipation and after i specifically mentioned that I CANNOT have gluten he says "Oh well you should just increase your fiber for the constipation....have some raisin bran or wheaties" - LOL

He gave me a physical exam and said everything seemed fine and is setting me up for a liver/gallbladder ultrasound. He also wants to do an endoscopy, but I dont really see the purpose at this point since I am already gluten free

I really can't handle these imbecile MDs anymore

If he isn't going to pay attention to what you are saying to him, then my advice would be to find a new doctor ASAP. I would not let him do any type of surgery on you! That is just ridiculus. :angry: