Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mamaesq

Completely Miserable...need Advice

Somehow about a week ago, I fell victim to cross contamination. I have spent hours trying to figure out where it came from, but I am at a loss. Anyway, last week, the horrible gas, the distended belly (it's seriously hard as a rock), canker sores, diarrhea, cramping and stomach gurgling came back big time. I've been glutened about 4-5 times in the year since my diagnosis, most within the first few months. Back then, it only lasted for a day or so, never longer than a weekend. This time, however, it's been ridiculous. I am a week into it and I still look about 6 months pregnant, I have horrible gas, my stomach is still cramping...pants that fit me last week are too tight for me now, I couldn't even button my suit jacket this morning...This evening I burped (which I rarely do anymore) and my five year old told me that I burp like a boy!

I almost want to detox myself and eat nothing but rice and bananas over the next few days, but that's going to be tough with Christmas coming...and I really need to eat all those delicious gluten free cookies I baked all weekend!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to kick this? My bowels are improving but the gas and bloat raages on and on. I am seriously miserable. I'm guessing part of it is that I am much more sensitive than I was a year ago (when the last of my bad glutenings happened). BLEH.

Stacy

Diagnosed 10/2/08

DQ2

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Somehow about a week ago, I fell victim to cross contamination. I have spent hours trying to figure out where it came from, but I am at a loss. Anyway, last week, the horrible gas, the distended belly (it's seriously hard as a rock), canker sores, diarrhea, cramping and stomach gurgling came back big time. I've been glutened about 4-5 times in the year since my diagnosis, most within the first few months. Back then, it only lasted for a day or so, never longer than a weekend. This time, however, it's been ridiculous. I am a week into it and I still look about 6 months pregnant, I have horrible gas, my stomach is still cramping...pants that fit me last week are too tight for me now, I couldn't even button my suit jacket this morning...This evening I burped (which I rarely do anymore) and my five year old told me that I burp like a boy!

I almost want to detox myself and eat nothing but rice and bananas over the next few days, but that's going to be tough with Christmas coming...and I really need to eat all those delicious gluten free cookies I baked all weekend!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to kick this? My bowels are improving but the gas and bloat raages on and on. I am seriously miserable. I'm guessing part of it is that I am much more sensitive than I was a year ago (when the last of my bad glutenings happened). BLEH.

Yeah. I think maybe I got something too.

First things first--baking soda in water helps get rid of the gas.

Then, at least an hour later:

L-Glutamine helps soothe the irritated intestines.

So does marshmallow root--takes down inflammation, soothes..

Enterically coated acidophilus improves intestinal flora. Plain real yogurt helps too--even better if its home made and fermented 24 hours.

Dandelion root helps out the overtaxed liver.

Cleavers helps relieve the overtaxed lymphatic system.

Pineapple and papaya or bromelain/papain enzymes help heal the damaged/scarred villi.

Walks etc. help get the stuff out of your system.

Drink tons of water to flush it out too.

Good luck!

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

I wonder if this might be a virus?

I had something very similar last week, although mine only lasted a couple of days--and I was preparing everything from scratch, at home (gluten-free kitchen), so I don't see how cc could have played a role (plus my reactions to gluten are not that extreme).