princesskill

My First Christmas Dinner Where I Didn't Feel Like I Was Going To Die!

Rate this topic

this was my first xmas dinner since being diagnosed 10 months ago. every Christmas before i got diagnosed i would have to lie down after dinner and would have horrible stabbing stomach pains for hours. i would feel like i had a stomach flu or food poisoning. i always blamed myself that i had over eaten, or that it was too much fat/sugar. my favorite food of the dinner was always bread stuffing, pie, and other cookies as well as the massive morning cinnamon buns. last year i even spent the whole day after vomiting. but this year my gluten free Christmas dinner was amazing and i felt full but not at all sick afterwards. my mom got diagnosed with celiac this year too so we made a sausage, mushroom, cranberry, rice stuffing, use rice flour in the gravy and my mom made gluten free brownies with chocolate sauce, raspberries and whipped cream for dessert (definatley a hit!) we also had a boiled red cabbage dish, mashed carrot and turnip, asparagus and mashed potatoes which are all normally gluten free. we also had to do most things dairy free because of my nephew's dairy allergy. my future mother in law also made plenty of gluten free things for me to eat for brunch, eggs and turkey and a turnip and cheese casserole.

anyway i feel really blessed that everyone in my family, and my boyfriend's family have been so great, and also that i will never have to spend the day after Christmas curled up in bed all day.

anyway just wanted to share and i hope you all had a pain free and happy christmas!

It's well worth the trouble of being gluten free! I am so glad for you and your famliy.

awsome.So glad you have so much family support!

I am so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful Christmas. So did I, and that means that we are making progress in our quests to live healthful lives, and to help others discover whether they also have Celiac. I think it is extraordinary that so many people worked together to make such a wonderful day. I like your writing style. Perhaps you should think about writing more about your experiences and sharing with others regularly. You sound like such a positive soul. Thank you for sharing. Welda

My family also had a gluten-free Christmas -- something we've been doing for a while, but this was the first year where I personally benefited from it. Isn't it the best to have a supportive family? :)