Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonD2

Should I Get A Colonoscopy Now?

I'm 35 but have had bowel problems for the past 8 yrs - things have improved over the course of the past year but i had an endoscopy in dec and ever since I have been severely constipated. i am taking some herbs and licorice for duodenitis and made some dietary modifcations, but i am starting to get concerned that something is not right with my colon. it could be that it just went into a state of shock from all the changes but im still worried. im so sick of hospitals, doctors, tests - i just want a break but im wondering if i should just get the colonoscopy out of the way. any thoughts?

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm 35 but have had bowel problems for the past 8 yrs - things have improved over the course of the past year but i had an endoscopy in dec and ever since I have been severely constipated. i am taking some herbs and licorice for duodenitis and made some dietary modifcations, but i am starting to get concerned that something is not right with my colon. it could be that it just went into a state of shock from all the changes but im still worried. im so sick of hospitals, doctors, tests - i just want a break but im wondering if i should just get the colonoscopy out of the way. any thoughts?

did you hear back from your GI about all the problems after the endo? I would think that he would want to address that.

Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

A lot of people have constipation as their main celiac symptom.

If you suspect celiac, I think you should look again at celiac tests and endoscopy of the small intestine, from the top down....and not the other way around.

Thinking back, I was always constipated when I was young.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

If your having issues that would warrent a colonoscopy then your age should not matter. I had a colonoscopy when I was 35 for a positive hemoccult stool test. Everything looked good and it was determined the cause was from internal hemmorhoids. I also had a benign polyp removed. My GI doc recommends I have another one when I am 45. That still puts me having two colonoscopies before 50! :blink: It was so worth the peace of mind for me. I wanted to make sure everything was alright since I have two boys that I need to take care of. I would not hesitate to have the scope done. The worst part for me was the prep. I had to drink nearly a gallon of GoLytely (?sp). It can really make your bottom raw from "going" so much. To alleviate this I used liquid anticid (ie malox) mixed with vaseline to neutralize the acid and create a barrier on my skin.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

it will give you peace of mind knowing what is going on in there. the prep is not fun but i've had 2 already. if you have it make sure that you drink TONS of water after it is over because you will be dehydrated from the prep.