jasonD2

Should I Get A Colonoscopy Now?

Rate this topic

I'm 35 but have had bowel problems for the past 8 yrs - things have improved over the course of the past year but i had an endoscopy in dec and ever since I have been severely constipated. i am taking some herbs and licorice for duodenitis and made some dietary modifcations, but i am starting to get concerned that something is not right with my colon. it could be that it just went into a state of shock from all the changes but im still worried. im so sick of hospitals, doctors, tests - i just want a break but im wondering if i should just get the colonoscopy out of the way. any thoughts?

I'm 35 but have had bowel problems for the past 8 yrs - things have improved over the course of the past year but i had an endoscopy in dec and ever since I have been severely constipated. i am taking some herbs and licorice for duodenitis and made some dietary modifcations, but i am starting to get concerned that something is not right with my colon. it could be that it just went into a state of shock from all the changes but im still worried. im so sick of hospitals, doctors, tests - i just want a break but im wondering if i should just get the colonoscopy out of the way. any thoughts?

did you hear back from your GI about all the problems after the endo? I would think that he would want to address that.

A lot of people have constipation as their main celiac symptom.

If you suspect celiac, I think you should look again at celiac tests and endoscopy of the small intestine, from the top down....and not the other way around.

Thinking back, I was always constipated when I was young.

If your having issues that would warrent a colonoscopy then your age should not matter. I had a colonoscopy when I was 35 for a positive hemoccult stool test. Everything looked good and it was determined the cause was from internal hemmorhoids. I also had a benign polyp removed. My GI doc recommends I have another one when I am 45. That still puts me having two colonoscopies before 50! :blink: It was so worth the peace of mind for me. I wanted to make sure everything was alright since I have two boys that I need to take care of. I would not hesitate to have the scope done. The worst part for me was the prep. I had to drink nearly a gallon of GoLytely (?sp). It can really make your bottom raw from "going" so much. To alleviate this I used liquid anticid (ie malox) mixed with vaseline to neutralize the acid and create a barrier on my skin.

it will give you peace of mind knowing what is going on in there. the prep is not fun but i've had 2 already. if you have it make sure that you drink TONS of water after it is over because you will be dehydrated from the prep.