ksangie

Confusing Lab Results, One Positive, One Negative

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm new here (as is everyone on this thread I imagine.) I was told last week that I most likely have Celiac disease and should start a gluten-free diet. I just got my test results back today and they confuse me a bit. Here goes:

Gliadin Antibody >100 (<11 being normal)

Endomysial AB Screen= Negative

As a side-note, I have constipation, constant abdominal pain, joint pain and fatigue. They tested for pretty much everything else in the book, but nada. I'm just concerned that the negative EAS means that we haven't found the answer. If anyone else has had a negative endomysial AB screen and still ended up having celiac, that would be helpful for me to know.

Thanks. :-)

I can not answer your question but I know how you feel. My gliadin antibody IgA was high and my endomysical AB (IgA) screen was negative also but my dr said that I do not have celiac. I still think that I may have celiac or atleast have gluten intolrance, because I have many of the symptoms. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I hope they find out what is going on with you so you can start to feel better soon.

Okay, FINALLY got the results in the mail instead of just the results over the phone.

Gliadin Antibody (IGG) >100 (<11 being negative)

In other words, too high to measure.

Gliadin Antibody (IGA) <3 (<11 being negative)

In other words, too low to measure?

Endomysial AB Screen (IGA) Negative

Your body is producing antibodies to gluten - you need to go gluten free.

Test panels are done because you need to read the tests as a whole to find the answer. You may get some negatives, but it's the mix of everything together than gives you your answer.

From my research, it looks like my negative test results might be due to an IGA deficiency, thus the IGA is not measurable and the EMA is giving a false negative. We shall see what the GI says on my appointment on the 9th. I imagine he'll want to do a biopsy to confirm. I'll go gluten-free after that point.