Wheatfreeleeshy

Make Brownies Cakier?

Rate this topic

I have the Trader Joe's gluten free brownie mix and I'm wondering...How can I make fluffier/cakier brownies? With regular gluten brownie mixes you can add an additional egg to the batter to make them cakier, but I didn't know if the same rule applied to gluten free brownie mixes.

Thanks in advance for the input!

I find guar gum is better for cakes, and xanthan is better for breads. So if the mix has only xanthan, it might be more difficult to get it to turn out the way you want. I always bake from scratch, so I can't suggest a specific mix, but why not use a cake mix instead?

My suggestion would be to use egg whites instead of whole egg. The whites usually make any recipe have a spongy texture. Have them at room temperature for maximum spongieness (not sure if that's a word). http://www.vickisglutenfreeforlife.com

I always just add the extra egg to my brownie mix because i like mine cakier too. and it works just fine for me so i say go for it. it wont hurt the mix. if it doesnt make them cakey enough maybe we can figure out another adjustment

I actually have had the opposite problem. I have made brownines from scratch and used a few mixes and they were cake like. I like a fudgy chewy brownie. I found the Betty Crocker and Gluten Free Pantry mix turns out fudgy/chewy brownies that I like. I'll have to look at the eggs and maybe adjust mine too.

I use coconut flour rather than pre-made mixes. :)

http://www.piccadillybooks.com/cooking-with-coconut-flour.htm

I have made several things with coconut flour and really liked them. I have yet to make brownies. Are they more cake-like? I would think so sice you have to use so many eggs to bind.

I always just add the extra egg to my brownie mix because i like mine cakier too. and it works just fine for me so i say go for it. it wont hurt the mix. if it doesnt make them cakey enough maybe we can figure out another adjustment

Oh good! Glad to know someone has tried it. I just didn't want to ruin them, and gluten-free baking is so different from "regular" baking.

I find guar gum is better for cakes, and xanthan is better for breads. So if the mix has only xanthan, it might be more difficult to get it to turn out the way you want. I always bake from scratch, so I can't suggest a specific mix, but why not use a cake mix instead?

Next time I will definitely use a cake mix. I already had the brownie mix and Trader Joe's mixes are so darn cheap compared to other brands, so I wanted to make it work.