This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Got Back Results Today

serenajane

serenajane Apprentice

Just found out today for sure that I have celiac sprue. any suggestions on how to find a way to ease into gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Cold turkey.

Clean out the kitchen of all the gluten and gluten contaminated stuff. i.e.peanut butter jar, jam, anything that has bread crumbs in it.

Don't go for any of the pre-made gluten free stuff at first. The taste and texture adjustment is easier after a few months. I like the gluten free pantry favorite sandwich bread mix. If you buy ready made bread toast or grill it.

Keep a food journal. It can help you track down hidden gluten or help you determine if you have any other food sensitivities or intolerances.

Find your favorite gluten fre snacks and junk food and keep your snacks on you at all times. It really sucks being hungry and having to hunt something gluten free down at first.

serenajane Apprentice

Cold turkey.

Clean out the kitchen of all the gluten and gluten contaminated stuff. i.e.peanut butter jar, jam, anything that has bread crumbs in it.

Don't go for any of the pre-made gluten free stuff at first. The taste and texture adjustment is easier after a few months. I like the gluten free pantry favorite sandwich bread mix. If you buy ready made bread toast or grill it.

Keep a food journal. It can help you track down hidden gluten or help you determine if you have any other food sensitivities or intolerances.

Find your favorite gluten fre snacks and junk food and keep your snacks on you at all times. It really sucks being hungry and having to hunt something gluten free down at first.

I was very hungry this morning looking high and low for anything gluten free to eat. It will take a while to get all the poison out of the cupboards but my husband is willing to do ths with me and my 5 year old son doesn't like much of anything already so adjusting him shouldn't be too crazy>

I need to find a cream soup recipe so i can make a few favorite casseroles. Any ideas?

Nightingale8472 Rookie

I was very hungry this morning looking high and low for anything gluten free to eat. It will take a while to get all the poison out of the cupboards but my husband is willing to do ths with me and my 5 year old son doesn't like much of anything already so adjusting him shouldn't be too crazy>

I need to find a cream soup recipe so i can make a few favorite casseroles. Any ideas?

I can't help you with the casseroles, and I know they say to stay away from the pre-packaged gluten free stuff, but I just have to recommend Pamela's cake mixes if you're having a sweets craving... better to find a good gluten-free treat than to lose your willpower and gluten yourself. I was totally craving cupcakes last night after wandering past one of those stupid cupcake specialty stores, and I went over to the Sprouts market and bought one of the Pamelas vanilla cake mixes. It was INCREDIBLE. So incredible that when I gave one to my dad he couldn't tell it was gluten-free. I couldn't tell it was gluten-free. It just tasted like CUPCAKE. I used the Duncan Hines frosting, since they confirm on their website that all their frosting is gluten-free. So yeah, this is one of the few gluten-free bready things that doesn't taste like a substitute (be very careful not to overcook or it gets overly chewy). Completely satisfied my cupcake craving. Take that, snooty specialty cupcake store!

Raleigh333 Newbie

Hello,

Well welcome and congrats on your diagnosis. I was just officially diagnosed mid Jan. of this year after positive blood work results that and observable changes from my endoscopy last Friday. I feel like saying congrats just because of how many people don't know they have it. I was told I did not have it about 3 years ago after having positive blood work and a normal biopsy, so over the past few years i've been causing the damage and after getting a second opinion i'm finally told that yes, i do have Celiac's. It's difficult, and I ventured out to a restaurant today for the first time. I'm taking vitamins now and eating throughout the day and trying to eat more balanced meals. I try to plan my whole week of meals on the weekend and always try one or two more recipes at that time as well. I'm starting my own binder with the recipes that I do like from all of the recipe books.

Many recipe books have tables that show you how much of an alternate ingredient should be used in place of gluten ingredients. What type of ingredients are you looking for in the casserole? I have about 4 books I can look through to see the ingredients that are used. Xanthan or Guar gum are used a lot in what I see for use as thickeners in soups and sauces.

I'm a second year teacher and tutor after school twice a week. Mondays I bring all my food to school so it's not a bag every day that includes;-yogurt (not sure if i'm lactose intolerant yet-doesn't seem like it), certified gluten-free granola mix from whole foods, fresh salads for the beginning of the week and some frozen meals for the end of the week. Over the few weekends i've had i've made chicken cordon bleu, chili, veggie lasagna with rice lasagna...and i would freeze portions of that in containers and take them to school or have them for dinners as well. I've also enjoyed the 'Glutino' crackers, putting swiss or feta cheese with a tomato slice on top and broiling in the oven.

I hate the feeling of not knowing what to eat, and just in a month i've gotten much better at only taking 1 or 2 trips to the grocery store a week, and using the ingredients I buy in multiple recipes before they spoil...so I hope you develop your system and notice things getting easier as well. I made the 'monkey mix' that uses Chex cereal (may be good for the 5 year old-you can google "monkey mix' to see the recipe) and keep that in a sealed container if I need a quick snack. I'm not eating perfectly healthy, but I am eating more fruits and vegetables...and if having the snack to indulge in prevents me from tempting to cheat I feel like it's well worth it. Good luck! I'd love to share ideas.

Roda Rising Star

I use health valley cream of mushroom, celerey and chicken. However they are not condensed so you may have to adjust the liquid.

Open Original Shared Link

It looks like some of the labeling has changed since I bought it last. Call the company to be sure still. I'll send them an email and see what I can find out.

serenajane Apprentice

I use health valley cream of mushroom, celerey and chicken. However they are not condensed so you may have to adjust the liquid.

It looks like some of the labeling has changed since I bought it last. Call the company to be sure still. I'll send them an email and see what I can find out.

Thank you so much i usually add milk to thin the soups a bit any way and a little mayo will maybe thicken it if needed

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
GFreeMurphy Newbie

I recently changed endocrinologists (diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 years ago) and had to go through many blood tests checking on vitamin deficiencies, thyroid levels, and other causes of my ongoing fatigue. When I went to my endocrinologist to go over my blood results, he notified me that I have high levels of anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies and in result low levels of vitamin d and b-12. Now, I have a consultation with a doctor who's going to perform a endoscopy. Extremely nervous because I'm graduating high school in June and I don't know how the diet is going to fit in with college life. It will definitely be tough!

So, my question is, can anybody tell me about the procedure and what you went through?

Thanks a lot,

Murph

• 1 year later...
relay Newbie

I registered just to reply to you. I was on this site researching gluten free diet as I am trying it out to see if it will help me. Blood test is negative but doc says try the diet anyway.

Listen, don't sweat the endoscopy. No big deal at all. Worst part of it is the iv! Seriously. I have had it done four times over the last few years. The drugs they give you basically knock you out and before you know it you will wake up VERY comfortable in the recovery room. There is no pain or any discomfort at all.

As far as the diet goes, don't think that far in advance. You will get all worked up over it. Start with what you are going to eat today and tomorrow and work from there.

Good luck!

I recently changed endocrinologists (diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 years ago) and had to go through many blood tests checking on vitamin deficiencies, thyroid levels, and other causes of my ongoing fatigue. When I went to my endocrinologist to go over my blood results, he notified me that I have high levels of anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies and in result low levels of vitamin d and b-12. Now, I have a consultation with a doctor who's going to perform a endoscopy. Extremely nervous because I'm graduating high school in June and I don't know how the diet is going to fit in with college life. It will definitely be tough!

So, my question is, can anybody tell me about the procedure and what you went through?

Thanks a lot,

Murph

Archived