loxnor

Birthday Cake Recipes Please!

Rate this topic

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. My grandson is not celiac, but he has multiple food allergies, including gluten, egg, nuts, fish and lentils. He will be 3 at the end of February, and as he has never had a birthday cake, I would like to make sure he has one for his 3rd birthday. I have found cake recipes on this site, but am confused by the range of different flours,etc., and and wondering whether it would be possible for any subscribers to let me have a cake recipe with exact amounts.

Also, I have researched online and bought various gluten-free recipe books. Some of the recipes contain millet semolina and rice semolina, but I have been unable to find stockists for these ingredients in London, where I live. I believe these are called 'grits' in the US. Can anyone help please?

Actually millet is a separate grain. Grits is just ground up corn. Also, I thought semolina was wheat???? Maybe someone can add his/her insight to this.

I would love to share a cake recipe with you that I made two nights ago. It's from Annalise Roberts cookbook, but it has 4 eggs in it. Sorry :(

These are two recipes that are made without gluten or eggs. They are from Carol Fenster's Special Diet Celebrations.

Basic Cake without eggs

1 Cup brown rice flour 1/2 Cup butter

1/2 Cup potato starch 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract

1/4 Cup tapioca flour 1/2 cup silken tofu

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum Grated peel of 1 lemon

2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 Cup boiling water

1/4 teaspoon salt Cooking spray--gluten-free

3/4 Cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly coat 11 x 7-inch nonstick pan or two 5 x 3-inch pans with cooking spray. Sift flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In food processor, cream together sugar, butter (at room temperature), vanilla, tofu, and lemon peel. Process on high until completely smooth. Add boiling water and process on high until completely mixed. Add flour mixture and process until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl with spatula, if necessary.

Spoon batter into prepared pan(s)and bake 11 x 7-inch pan for 25-30 minutes, smaller pans for 30-40 minutes or until tops are firm. Cake will not brown very much. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan(s). Cool completely before serving.

Basic Chocolate cake without eggs

1/2 Cup brown rice flour 3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 Cup potato starch 1/4 Cup butter

1/4 Cup tapioca flour 1/2 cup silken tofu

1/2 Cup cocoa powder 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum 2/3 Cup boiling water

2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder Cooking spray

1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly coat 9-inch round or square nonstick pan with cooking spray. Combine flours, cocoa, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In food processor, cream together sugar, butter (at room temperature), vanilla, and tofu. Process on high until completely smooth. Add boiling water and process on high until completely mixed. Add flour mixture and process at a low speed until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl with spatula, if necessary.

Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until tops are firm. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan(s). Cool completely before serving.

I hope this helps. I am very sorry that I do not know the conversions, but these cakes come out very well. If you need more than one layer, mix up more than one batch. This does not double well. Hope he has a happy third birthday!

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. My grandson is not celiac, but he has multiple food allergies, including gluten, egg, nuts, fish and lentils. He will be 3 at the end of February, and as he has never had a birthday cake, I would like to make sure he has one for his 3rd birthday. I have found cake recipes on this site, but am confused by the range of different flours,etc., and and wondering whether it would be possible for any subscribers to let me have a cake recipe with exact amounts.

Also, I have researched online and bought various gluten-free recipe books. Some of the recipes contain millet semolina and rice semolina, but I have been unable to find stockists for these ingredients in London, where I live. I believe these are called 'grits' in the US. Can anyone help please?

Given that you live in London, I don't know if you can get these, but Better Crocker now has at least 2 gluten-free cake mixes. As for frosting.... I have started using Agave syrup in place of sugar. It is much sweeter so you use less, it's gluten-free & it's natural.

Regardless of your decision to buy prepackaged or from scratch, there are many good cookbooks and websites out there w. the correct information.

I made chocolate cupcakes today. Here is the recipe:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=55428

It made 12 cupcakes. The middles didn't rise like gluten cupcakes do (hardly noticeable) but a little extra frosting is all you need. Sometimes gluten-free baking is tricky especially if you don't have eggs. I don't know how well it will work for a large cake. I would try the cupcakes or the 2 layer. Gluten free baking bakes better in smaller pans.

I added 1/2 a tsp. of baking powder to the recipe, used a different flour mix (see below). And added 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum

sorghum mix

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

1 1/2 cups cornstarch

1 cup tapioca flour

Light and fluffy and tastes great! (I ate 2)

I made vanilla cupcakes once, they were good too.

http://www.recipezaar.com/302367

I used:

1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix (recipe posted above)

3/4 tsp. xanthan gum

1/3 cup vegetable oil (not the butter for dairy free)

Try the cupcakes incase the cake doesn't rise properly.