mrburns

Home Test

Rate this topic

Hello,

I'm not sure this is the correct section of the forum I'm posting this in.

If not, please forgive me.

I have been on a gluten-free diet for about 4 years now.

I'm considering ordering one of those celiac disease/gluten intolerance home test kits, as I've been lead to belive that one can - in some cases - rid oneself of gluten intolerance, if one stays away from gluten for a longer period of time. [i did this as a kid, when I had severe dairy allergy - I quit all dairy for 6 months - and have been perfectly fine with all dairy ever since.]

Now, as I understand it, this kit measures anti bodies that are produced when the body has to 'fight' the gluten.

This makes me think I'd have to eat gluten before taking the test - or the test won't have any anti bodies to test for, since the body won't produce them if I'm not ingesting any gluten?

Also, for how long would you suggest I eat gluten [daily] before taking the test?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

If you have autoimmune response to gluten & wheat then the only CURE is the gluten free diet. A wheat allergy is just that - an allergy but celiac is an autoimmune disease. No cure-all's there except for the gluten-free diet. It will never go away.The symptoms will get better but one must be gluten-free for life....

I'm not sure if you have an allergy or an autoimmune response to wheat & gluten....

I'm not sure if you have an allergy or an autoimmune response to wheat & gluten....

I believe it to be 'just' an allergy.

Hard to say. I have not been properly diagnosed. There's very little awareness about gluten intolerence/allergy where I come from.

I just noticed symtoms in my body that went away when I stopped gluten.