chefmomof3

Dandruff And Flaking Scalp

Rate this topic

My son has been a celiac for almost 7 years. Until recently, we discovered his shampoo had wheat and gluten in it. So we switched to Dove. The itching has calm down quite a bit, but not totally. Now we are left with the flakes. Any suggestions on how or what to use to get rid of this. We have been to the dermatologist and of course...try this and try that.. and I am not sure he knew they were gluten/wheat free or not because he put him on Zyrtec.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Renee

my son is a celaic and we are waiting to hear if oldest daughter is. but both of them get very bad dry scalp. we also use dove. but every other to every third hair washing we use head and shoulders, which is safe. and they have some nice smelli g ones these days. i have also found that not washing their hair every night helps a lot!

hope this helps

my son is a celaic and we are waiting to hear if oldest daughter is. but both of them get very bad dry scalp. we also use dove. but every other to every third hair washing we use head and shoulders, which is safe. and they have some nice smelli g ones these days. i have also found that not washing their hair every night helps a lot!

hope this helps

Unless your hair is very oily or dirty, there's no reason to wash it every day. It's very bad for your scalp if you do, and a waste of expensive shampoo. Your scalp naturally produces oil to protect it, and washing it too often strips away that natural protection, causing it to either overreact and become very oily, or get very dry and flaky, and the hair itself gets brittle and hard to manage, with lots of split ends. If you're washing your hair more than once or twice a week, it's probably too much. Longer hair needs washing less often than shorter hair, because when you brush your hair (with a good brush! boar or wooden bristle) you distribute the good scalp oils down the hair strand. If you exercise, remember, unlike oil and dirt, sweat is water soluble and will rinse out, so just a rinse and a bit of conditioner on the ends to prevent tangles is usually sufficient if you've hit the gym. That hair needs washing every day is a myth largely perpetuated by the American shampoo industry. =)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969

-Kris

(used to have hair so long I could sit on it... cut it for locks of love, growing it back out)