serenajane

I Ate At A Buffet Today

Rate this topic

I wanted to go to brunch with my family this am. I did pretty well avoiding the things that contain gluten. I stayed away from the chocolate fountain which is not very good anyway. I even stayed away from the little cakes and muffins. the one thing that gets me is the chinese food. I am ticked that soy sauce contains gluten. They have a sushi section....

while I am complaining I found garden of eatin nacho cheese tortillas by label seem safe to eat and they are pretty good not a nacho dorito but pretty dang close....

I made a breakfast bar last week gluten free no oats it came out great.

I am still doing terrible with the bathroom visits pardon the extra information..... I feel like it is more frequent now that I have eliminated regular items from my diet....when are they going to find a pills that we can take to be able to tolerate gluten would be a lot easier.

sorry if my post is hard to follow I am just so aggravated with the slow healing. I know it is going to take time. I am aware that this is a life long way for me and I have excepted that. I am just hoping that I will feel the benefits sooner than later is all.

any suggestions welcome

You are brave. Were you able to talk to the manager or chef and find out what was safe to eat? Do you think you got glutened there?

I have been on a gluten-free diet for over 3 weeks now and have eaten at buffets a number of times.In all cases I have asked to speak to the chef in person and they have told me all the ingredients in each and every dish on offer. I haven't eaten anything with sauce or dressing just stuck to the plain food, salads, fruit and cheese. I am well aware that there is a risk of cross contamination but so far I have felt fine after buffets. TMI ALERT: I already know that when I have been exposed to gluten my bowel movements become really loose and frequent with a lot of flatulence.

My buffet experiences have been good but I made a really dumb ass error at a restaurant on Saturday. My brain just wasn't engaged. I ordered risotto (totally forgetting about the stock used -duh!) I am suffering since.

I told my husband and visiting friends that I wouldn't do buffets anymore. Never even mind the chance of cross contamination... it was too boring!! I could have salad, baked chicken, and a baked potato. When everyone was going back up for the 2nd or THIRD plate of yummy chinese and mexican and italian food... all I could have was more baked chicken and another baked potato!

There are too many other places I'd rather go for the infrequent times we eat out. No more buffets for me!!

sandsurfgirl is absolutely right, you MUST talk to the chef or somebody in charge. And you must do it at any restaurant.

richard