bethfuller

Is This Really Celiac?

Rate this topic

From Prometheus Labs: January 2010

AGA IgG 16.5U/ml (<10 u/ml normal range)

AGA IgA 17.4U/ml (<5 u/ml)

TTG IgA 1.4U/ml (<4 u/ml)

EMA IgA negative

TOTAL IgA 577 mg/dl (44-441 normal)

HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ8 genes not detected.

Biopsies (endo and colonoscopy) were all negative. No damage at all.

The reason I looked for help was because I was having extreme uncontrollable diarrhea, cramping, loud stomach noises, floating stools. It started on an exact date June 13th, 2009.

I've been on a gluten free diet for three months now. I cut out the dairy and also found out I am somewhat allergic to eggs and peanuts. Thing is, I purposefully glutened myself (A LOT) yesterday to see what my reaction would be and had NONE at all, I mean nothing. When I eat dairy, I get cramps, bloating and diarrhea but eating gluten doesn't seem to effect me at all. It didn't before I was diagnosed either. I have never had any GI problems until last June 09'. Never been to the doctor for more than a sinus infection.

I am planning on meeting with my GI doctor again but he is clueless as to what Celiac disease is. All they gave me was a print out of 20 things that I should avoid because they have gluten in them. I just have been thinking that those numbers seem a bit weak to diagnose Celiac. I am so very happy to be eating better. I don't think I will go back to the way I ate before no matter what the outcome.

I just wanted to know if anyone else got this result....what to do now?

The diet only made me feel better when I cut out the eggs and dairy. For a month, I had no relief thinking that it was just going to take time but then no dairy-no symptoms.

Argh.

~Beth

That sure doesn't sound like celiac, especially the biopsies with no damage. Perhaps dairy is your only problem. Why not cut out all dairy and see what happens.

I am doing so and feeling great!

I am getting a second look see at my test results. No matter, my diet change is a good thing!