k2626

Pancreas Inflammation

Rate this topic

Has anyone here had or heard of this with celiac?

There is a link that has been reported between Type 1 diabetes, both classic and Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults(Type 1.5), and Celiac Disease/Wheat Allergy. In both types of type 1, for some people, the consumption of wheat/gluten causes the immune system to attack the pancreas. There are a few with diabetes out there with type 1.5 who are working on identifying their triggers(gluten, casein etc.), eliminating them and stopping the attack on the pancreas. There is one gal out in the bloggosphere who has been able to get off insulin by doing this and has decreased the number of special antibodies(GAD) involved.

Type 1.5 folks are often misdiagnosed as type 2. Unlike type 1 childhood onset, it developes slowly and some may still be producing some of their own insulin at the time of diagnosis so if they stop the immune attack and follow a low-carb diet, they may be able to preserve the remaining insulin producing cells.

This may or may not relate to what's going on with you.

Hi again, I replied to your personal message. To add to the post above, I agree about the diabetes/insulin/pancreas connection. To add my own experience that has irritated people on this board, who disagree with my statements, however: it is critical to work with a nutritionist who knows about celiac, ESPECIALLY if you pancreatic pain/attacks. I have found great nutritionist. No pain in last 3 weeks and feeling the best I have ever felt. I struggled trying to go this alone and did not succeed. DOn't know if your in Pittsburgh area, but he may do phone consults. What he has me doing may not be right for you. Celiac may be the same for all of us but we all have diff affects/damage that needs healed and treated differently. Going Gluten-Free is not the only way to health as a celiac. Consult a professional.

Thank you both- I really appreciate it. I dont know if I am gluten intolerent- trying to be my own dr as my drs are puzzled as to what is going on. My labs for celiac were clear.

Here is my history

35 yr female

4 yrs ago was diagnosed with (gerd)

2 yrs ago started to get neuropathy (muscle twitching all over, stinging/stabbing pains that hit my joints and migrated)

1 1/2 yrs ago started to get upper left sided pain, lipase was doubled-pancreatitis but mild. However, remained elevated for awhile (have not checked in a long time to see where its at). All scans were clear, did not show inflammation. Had a good 4 months of little pain and it started up this past week again.

I am allergic to a ton in terms of grass, mildew etc.. had to have allergy shots daily as a kid, then twice a wk as an adult. Not sure if that means anything.

I think this all must be connected...drs think so as well but have no idea what it all is

Cow's milk allergy has also been linked with autoimmune diabetes. There is more to the pancreas than just diabetes and insulin I think. But that's what my challenge is so that's the perspective I can share.

You might do well to explore food allergies and intolerances. I'm reading a book now that I think is well written. It's called Food Allergies and Food Intolerances by Jonathan Brostoff, M.D. and Linda Gamlin.

There are tests that can be done to help give us direction. Sadly, we end up being our own doctors sometimes. But we shouldn't have to figure it all out. Know your body well, do your homework and use the medical resources you have. I wish my doctor would figure some of these things out for me but at least he'll humor me and run the tests that I ask for so I do my homework and keep a list to ask him for each time I go in. Sometimes I bring documentation to back up my request.

Hi again, I replied to your personal message. To add to the post above, I agree about the diabetes/insulin/pancreas connection. To add my own experience that has irritated people on this board, who disagree with my statements, however: it is critical to work with a nutritionist who knows about celiac, ESPECIALLY if you pancreatic pain/attacks. I have found great nutritionist. No pain in last 3 weeks and feeling the best I have ever felt. I struggled trying to go this alone and did not succeed. DOn't know if your in Pittsburgh area, but he may do phone consults. What he has me doing may not be right for you. Celiac may be the same for all of us but we all have diff affects/damage that needs healed and treated differently. Going Gluten-Free is not the only way to health as a celiac. Consult a professional.

Who is your nutritionist?

Cow's milk allergy has also been linked with autoimmune diabetes. There is more to the pancreas than just diabetes and insulin I think. But that's what my challenge is so that's the perspective I can share.

You might do well to explore food allergies and intolerances. I'm reading a book now that I think is well written. It's called Food Allergies and Food Intolerances by Jonathan Brostoff, M.D. and Linda Gamlin.

There are tests that can be done to help give us direction. Sadly, we end up being our own doctors sometimes. But we shouldn't have to figure it all out. Know your body well, do your homework and use the medical resources you have. I wish my doctor would figure some of these things out for me but at least he'll humor me and run the tests that I ask for so I do my homework and keep a list to ask him for each time I go in. Sometimes I bring documentation to back up my request.

I just had an IgG allergy profile done and I found I have a very strong Cow's milk allergy. I was diagnosed with Celiac a few months ago through biopsy & TtG blood test.