This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Test Came Back Normal...so Is That It?

lissm

lissm Newbie

My blood test came back normal so 'it is unlikely I have celiacs' - is that right? I don't want to get too happy about being able to eat normal food again unless I'm sure it isn't just a false negative. I was gluten free at the time of the blood test, that wouldn't matter right?

I guess the bad news is now I don't know what's wrong with me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

How long had you been gluten-free prior to the test? The blood tests look for antibodies produced in reaction to gluten. I have heard various things, but the consensus here seems to be that you need to be eating the equivalent of two slices of "normal" bread a day for two to three months leading up to the test.

michelley65 Rookie

I'll be getting my results next week,and I have a feeling they will come back negative.My doctor said it doesnt matter if I ate gluten or not before the test.I dont know if I have celiac but I am sure that I am atleast sensitive to gluten,therefore I am going gluten free..I feel so much better without it.If your body feels better on a gluten-free diet,who needs the test to tell you anything else.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

False negatives are not uncommon. Doctors thinking the blood tests were always right cost me many years. After all testing is done do give the diet a good strict try for a couple of months and see if it helps.

GFinDC Veteran

The antibodie tests are not perfect. If you have GI symptoms then it makes sense to try the diet for a few months to see if it helps.

Linda 60609 Newbie

My blood test came back normal so 'it is unlikely I have celiacs' - is that right? I don't want to get too happy about being able to eat normal food again unless I'm sure it isn't just a false negative. I was gluten free at the time of the blood test, that wouldn't matter right?

I guess the bad news is now I don't know what's wrong with me.

How long were you gluten free when you took the test? That happened to me, I had gone gluten free for over 2 months (because that's how long it took me to get an appt. at the Celiac Disease Center at UofC), and consequently my blood test showed no antibodies. I am still convinced I have it because I had an EXTREMELY itchy rash (DH, I think) that defied treatment (saw a dermatologist and an allergist to no avail), and the only thing that made it go away was a gluten free diet. Gradually, I started eating gluten again and it took awhile to develop symptoms again. Now, because I NEED to know, I scheduled the biopsy so I can get some answers, once and for all. The gastroenterologist thinks I do have it, and said it's good that I kept pressing, because continuing to eat gluten when you are intolerant can eventually develop into a malignancy. He also said don't go gluten free before the testing.

lissm Newbie

I was very strictly gluten free for about 8 months before the test. The reason I got the test is that in the last month or so I've been getting progressively sicker. Despite still being sick I refuse to start eating gluten again until the doctor tells me what's wrong.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

reeetz Rookie

Everything I have read says that you have to be eating gluten before you do the blood test. What I am wondering though is how long on the gluten free diet for it to come up negative?

I was on the diet for 6 weeks before I took the blood test. The test came back normal. So..I decided to try my own test by eating gluten and guess what happened? The next day I started feeling horribly sick with fatigue and the stomach cramping. My stomach cramping seems different then if I were to have the stomach flu. A couple days later I was vomiting and had D. It took the whole week being off gluten again to finally clear up. I think that I am finally starting to realize that I don't care about the tests anymore...I know what makes me sick. Maybe give gluten a try and see what happens. It may be the only test you need.

GFinDC Veteran

I was very strictly gluten free for about 8 months before the test. The reason I got the test is that in the last month or so I've been getting progressively sicker. Despite still being sick I refuse to start eating gluten again until the doctor tells me what's wrong.

If you are sure you are gluten free, then the next thing to consider is possible additional food intolerances. If you don't mind a suggestion, try ditching any soy and dairy in your diet for a month and see if it helps.

Archived