This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is Considered 'damage'

glutenfr3309

glutenfr3309 Rookie

was wondering if anyone could explain to me what is considered damage when a biopsy of the small intestine is done.

when i had mine, after the endoscopy my GI doc said he saw damage but pathology results only show inflammation, no sign of sprue. is inflammation considered damage?

i've been trying to read more about the differences between non-celiac gluten intolerance and celiac but now i'm just confused.

i understand celiac is an auto immune disease but is it possible to have the brain fog, fatigue, itchy/dry skin, constant congestion in the sinuses, extra sensitivity to my thighs and other parts of my body (easy bruising) with a non-celiac gluten intolerance? i'm assuming these can be signs of vitamin deficiencies...

regardless i know i will see improvement with a gluten-free diet (which i have been instructed to do) but i haven't had blood work done to test for deficiencies yet.

edit: i have a history of depression and skin picking (started 20+ years ago). i'm starting to think that the whole gluten intolerance thing has something to with this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pac Apprentice

was wondering if anyone could explain to me what is considered damage when a biopsy of the small intestine is done.

when i had mine, after the endoscopy my GI doc said he saw damage but pathology results only show inflammation, no sign of sprue. is inflammation considered damage?

i've been trying to read more about the differences between non-celiac gluten intolerance and celiac but now i'm just confused.

i understand celiac is an auto immune disease but is it possible to have the brain fog, fatigue, itchy/dry skin, constant congestion in the sinuses, extra sensitivity to my thighs and other parts of my body (easy bruising) with a non-celiac gluten intolerance? i'm assuming these can be signs of vitamin deficiencies...

regardless i know i will see improvement with a gluten-free diet (which i have been instructed to do) but i haven't had blood work done to test for deficiencies yet.

edit: i have a history of depression and skin picking (started 20+ years ago). i'm starting to think that the whole gluten intolerance thing has something to with this!

I've only been diagnosed with mild IgE allergy to gluten and had slight gut inflammation and yet I had all the "atypical" symptoms of celiac (everything except constant diarhea and losing weight). The theory is that all these things are a result of malnutrition or vitamin deficiencies due to gut damage, but I just don't believe in it. If I eat or even breath in gluten, these "atypical" symptoms including depression, fatigue, brain fog, ataxia appear within 5-24hours. There's no way you can get so severely malnourished in just a few hours.

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

How does Gluten Cause Damage?

Gluten triggers an abnormal immune response that flattens and alters the small intestinal villi. This decreases the lining's surface area and alters its absorptive abilities. Malabsorption of some or all nutrients occurs and the body cannot get the essential proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals necessary for good health. It is important to be aware that a tiny crumb of bread causes the same damaging response as a whole slice, because it takes only one molecule to trigger the destructive mucosal response.

Lisa Mentor

A GI can see physical signs of damage, but a biopsy can miss effective areas and be inconclusive. Unfortunately, there are no tests available at this time that are considered 100%. Many times a diagnosis is cumulative through testing, dietary response and family history.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If I eat or even breath in gluten, these "atypical" symptoms including depression, fatigue, brain fog, ataxia appear within 5-24hours. There's no way you can get so severely malnourished in just a few hours.

You, like myself sound like you have had neuro impact from the antibodies. For some symptoms like the fatigue and brain fog can be due to deficiencies but for some of us they are more due to brain impact. For those that have those type issues due to malabsorption they are not IMHO as likely to reoccur with an accidental glutening as they are with someone who has had the antibody neuro impact.

Archived