bridgetm

Quaker's Quakes Rice Snacks

Rate this topic

I've noticed that most flavors of Quaker's large rice cakes are labeled gluten-free and found a press release from a few months ago stating that they had been testing those ones to ensure they were gluten-free. The Quakes are not labeled gluten-free, but have the same basic ingredients. I just bought a bag of the new Vanilla Creme Brulee flavor for something different; the label looks safe to me, but can I be reasonably sure that they're safe?

The ingredients listed are: Whole grain brown rice, brown sugar, corn (with germ removed), maltodextrin, milk, salt, sugar, natural and artificial flavor, soy lecithin.

I can't say for sure, but I do remember several people on the forums here saying they'd gotten sick after eating the cakes that were not labeled gluten free. I think the consensus was cross-contamination. It's great that they've started testing and labeling the large cakes as gluten free now!

If they are not labeled gluten free I would stay away from them. They may be made in a different plant than the larger ones or they may contain gluten ingredients in the flavoring. To be on the safe side if a company has the gluten free label on some items but not others I avoid the ones without it. There is a reason why they don't carry the gluten-free label, it may be just because they haven't tested them yet or it could be because they do indeed contain gluten ingredients. Either way for me it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Thank you both for your responses. I tried just a single one late last night and my chest immediately tightened up, I was short of breath and got some abdominal discomfort and pain. Those will definitely be going in the pile of food I'm handing out to my broke, hungry college buddies.