Rate this topic

For most of my life, I have had natrually wavy hair with kinky curly hair underneath in the back. I just learned to deal with it. More recently my hair has gotten quite thin and straight. Even the back. It seemed to have started when I started insulin. My SIL said her sister had exactly the same problem when she went on insulin. Her naturally curly hair went thin and straight. I am still dealing with it. The problem now is my daughter's hair.

She had thin, stick straight hair up until her food allergies were diagnosed. This was at age 6. All of a sudden she got tons of new hair. Then last year she got more new hair still, but the new hair was kinky curly!

Here's a pic of her.

http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reso2nqv/angela.htm

I used a straightening iron on her hair for that pic. If you look at the roots you can see that it is not totally smooth there. That's the real problem area. And the straightening iron only works for a few hours. Then the kinks come back.

Her hair is several inches longer than that now. I have a feeling if she were to cut it, maybe to chin length, that would get rid of most of the straight hair and she would have curls. But she refuses to do this. And realistically she can't do it now. Why? Because of her dance. She is required to have a bun for recital. If her hair is not long enough, we have to do what we can do to slick it back and then come up with some sort of fake bun. What the short haired girls did last year was to make as much of a ponytail as they could...even a little stub, then wrap that with one of those scrunchies made of fake hair, then put a net over it and pin it.

It's possible (but not likely) that I could get her to cut her hair for the summer once recital is over. When she first started dance at this studio, she had a chin length bob with bangs. We were warned by another mother to grow out the bangs. No bangs allowed for recital. And we grew out the rest of her hair so we could make a bun. She had a nice bun by the time recital rolled around in May or June (can't remember when it was that year).

But in the meantime? Anyone have suggestions for what to do with her hair? We really have no time for styling most mornings. She washes it at night and usually just wets down the really kinky part in the morning and combs it, hoping for the best. She is trying a smoothing shampoo and she has a smoothing styling product from the beauty salon that does seem to help when she remembers to put it in. The problem with that is a little goes a long way. Her hair also tends to get oily and that stuff makes it more so.

Thanks!

She's adorable!!

I have the wavy on top, kinky underneath as well. In order for it to look descent, I have to shower in the morning and take about 5 minutes of styling. I use Wen, but it has wheat in it, so I'll tell you what I used to do-or still do when I'm in a hurry--(it does seem like more work than it actually takes, maybe try it on a weekend to see how it works...) I also do this for my dd who has the same hair :rolleyes:

-Shampoo and condition very well. I don't like the 2 in 1's because the conditioner isn't good enough.

-I run a brush thru my hair in the shower after I rinse and barely towel dry, it will still be a bit drippy

-spray liberally with Loreal Tightly Wound spray gel

-add mousse-I like Aussie waves

-brush thru well

-flip head upside down, blow dry with a diffuser attachment, scrunching while you dry, high heat, medium speed

BUT---only dry about 3/4 of the way

-flip head back up, tame a bit with your fingers so it's not so 'huge', lightly spray with a flexible hair spray and let the rest dry on its own

(I promise it only takes 5 minutes)

I ususally do this for one day, then the next day after I've slept on it, I will put it up in a 'stylish' messy-like ponytail

If you try it, let me know how it works ;)

She's adorable!!

I have the wavy on top, kinky underneath as well. In order for it to look descent, I have to shower in the morning and take about 5 minutes of styling. I use Wen, but it has wheat in it, so I'll tell you what I used to do-or still do when I'm in a hurry--(it does seem like more work than it actually takes, maybe try it on a weekend to see how it works...) I also do this for my dd who has the same hair :rolleyes:

-Shampoo and condition very well. I don't like the 2 in 1's because the conditioner isn't good enough.

-I run a brush thru my hair in the shower after I rinse and barely towel dry, it will still be a bit drippy

-spray liberally with Loreal Tightly Wound spray gel

-add mousse-I like Aussie waves

-brush thru well

-flip head upside down, blow dry with a diffuser attachment, scrunching while you dry, high heat, medium speed

BUT---only dry about 3/4 of the way

-flip head back up, tame a bit with your fingers so it's not so 'huge', lightly spray with a flexible hair spray and let the rest dry on its own

(I promise it only takes 5 minutes)

I ususally do this for one day, then the next day after I've slept on it, I will put it up in a 'stylish' messy-like ponytail

If you try it, let me know how it works ;)

Thanks! I have been buying the 2 in 1 stuff. She seems to have a problem washing her own hair. I don't know if it is too much product, not enough, not rinsing or what. She comes out of the shower with greasy, matted hair. So I was afraid to get a separate conditioner. I have just washed her hair myself the past two nights and it came out well. Her friends even commented on it.

I'll try having her do the blow dryer.