Rate this topic

My 2.5 year old son was just diagnosed with Celiac a month ago. So i am really new to this gluten free world. I have a lot to learn. I was looking for a chocolate bar at the candy aisle at safeway. Most of major brands listed barley on their list of ingredients except for the safeway select's chocolate bar.

This is what was listed on the package (Milk chocolate w/ nibbed with hazelnut)

Ingredients

Sugar, Dry Whole Milk, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate Liquor, Nibbed and Ground Hazelnuts 8%, Soy Lecithin (an Emulsifier)Natural Flavor.

Allergen / Warning Information

May contain tree nuts and peanuts.

I thought that the product didn't contain any gluten. Just to make sure, I contacted safeway who informed me that there is gluten in this particular candy bar. I am so confused. I thought that they were required to label food products that contain an ingredient that is or contains protein from a major food allergen...

My 2.5 year old son was just diagnosed with Celiac a month ago. So i am really new to this gluten free world. I have a lot to learn. I was looking for a chocolate bar at the candy aisle at safeway. Most of major brands listed barley on their list of ingredients except for the safeway select's chocolate bar.

This is what was listed on the package (Milk chocolate w/ nibbed with hazelnut)

Ingredients

Sugar, Dry Whole Milk, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate Liquor, Nibbed and Ground Hazelnuts 8%, Soy Lecithin (an Emulsifier)Natural Flavor.

Allergen / Warning Information

May contain tree nuts and peanuts.

I thought that the product didn't contain any gluten. Just to make sure, I contacted safeway who informed me that there is gluten in this particular candy bar. I am so confused. I thought that they were required to label food products that contain an ingredient that is or contains protein from a major food allergen...

They are required to label wheat. If there were barley in it that could account for the gluten. Barley is not one of the major allergens. It would be great if we could get wheat changed to gluten :)