kaki_clam

Was She Unsensitive Or Am I Being Oversensitive....again?

Rate this topic

So the Gatro doc is having me under go the Sitz Marker test..where I have to swallow some little radio-active disks that help them track how stuff moves through my colon....

Anyway, I made the x-ray tech check to see if the pill contained gluten or iodine. While he was out of the room, the girl who was working with him was asking me about my gluten allergy. I told her I had been diagnosed in September and had been gluten free ever since. She seemed really interested and so I went onto to tell her what a struggle it had been and how sick I had been.....BIG MISTAKE...she was like "oh really? my friends son was autistic so she stopped feeding him gluten and he was fine in like a week? I am really surprised you were even sick, I woulda thought you woulda been fine in a week."

my jaw dropped and thankfully the xray tech came in just at that moment, said the pill was fine, I took it he took the xrays and I went home.

I was hurt by what she said. I was really sick for like 6 months....I know that gluten effects everyone differently, but I felt belittled by what she said.

I am over it now..but I can't help but wonder if she was wrong to say what she did? Or was I wrong to be upset by it?

Until she talked with you, her only exposure to gluten allergies, intolerances, and celiac was the one friend with the Autistic child. She was surprised because she didn't know about the rest of the issue. Now she has heard about it and knows more than before. You shouldn't be upset. You just educated someone, even a little bit. I don't think she meant to make you feel bad, I think she was just surprised about something she didn't know.

Until she talked with you, her only exposure to gluten allergies, intolerances, and celiac was the one friend with the Autistic child. She was surprised because she didn't know about the rest of the issue. Now she has heard about it and knows more than before. You shouldn't be upset. You just educated someone, even a little bit. I don't think she meant to make you feel bad, I think she was just surprised about something she didn't know.

Awesome way to think about it. Thank you!

So the Gatro doc is having me under go the Sitz Marker test..where I have to swallow some little radio-active disks that help them track how stuff moves through my colon....

Anyway, I made the x-ray tech check to see if the pill contained gluten or iodine. While he was out of the room, the girl who was working with him was asking me about my gluten allergy. I told her I had been diagnosed in September and had been gluten free ever since. She seemed really interested and so I went onto to tell her what a struggle it had been and how sick I had been.....BIG MISTAKE...she was like "oh really? my friends son was autistic so she stopped feeding him gluten and he was fine in like a week? I am really surprised you were even sick, I woulda thought you woulda been fine in a week."

my jaw dropped and thankfully the xray tech came in just at that moment, said the pill was fine, I took it he took the xrays and I went home.

I was hurt by what she said. I was really sick for like 6 months....I know that gluten effects everyone differently, but I felt belittled by what she said.

I am over it now..but I can't help but wonder if she was wrong to say what she did? Or was I wrong to be upset by it?

You would be suprised to learn how little other healthcare associates really know about gluten and celiac disease. I like the other posters comment to look at it as an opportunity to educate someone. I am in the allied health profession myself and I have found it to be an opportunity to educate others, even doctors. I see alot of patients that come in for x-rays and ct scans that have symptoms that should warrent screening for celiac. Word is getting around the hospital that I have celiac and others are referring people to come talk to me about it. Oh btw the capsule you took isn't radioactive, so no worry there. It is radioopaque, meaning it will show up on the x-ray. Here is a link

https://www.konsyl.com/t-sitzmarks.aspx

If there's one thing I've learned here is that if you put 100 celiacs in a room, you'll have 100 different sets of symptoms. She didn't mean to be ignorant, but she only has one frame of reference.