This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help With 2 Yr Old

dnyc

Could it be celiacs  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dnyc Newbie

My daughter's pediatric GI though it was celiacs in the beginning, but when she was 18 months she had an endoscope done and it came back negative, but when I go to all the sites and search her symptoms it always comes back as celiacs. I wasn't able to breastfeed her, but she went on rice cereal at 3 months (by doctor orders, she was slow to gain) and at 4 months she was started on other foods. The diarrhea is often mucousy and acidic, though no blood.

So basically her symptoms are:

-slow weight gain

-diarrhea starts at 4 months with solids, reflux symptoms started, bloated belly started

-weight loss at 8 months with the start of some table foods, reflux symptoms get worse

-allergy testing at 9 months, no immediate or delayed allergies

-occasional constipation

-height growth slows, weight gain is very slow with bouts of weight loss

-low to no appetite (when things get really bad she'll only eat cheese and drink milk and things get better)

-IgA levels are 7, slight anemia, other tests are normal

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Luvbeingamommy Contributor

Have you ever thought of testing her with Enterolabs?? They check the levels in her stool. I would definitely reccomend it, we did it with our 2 1/2 year old.

Testing for Celiac in children can be very tough to get positive results, more so then adults for sure.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have you ever thought of testing her with Enterolabs?? They check the levels in her stool. I would definitely reccomend it, we did it with our 2 1/2 year old.

Testing for Celiac in children can be very tough to get positive results, more so then adults for sure.

I agree completely. You can also do a gluten free trial with her even while waiting for the Enterolab tests and results, since she has already had blood and biopsy. False negatives for children are even more common than for adults.

RoseTapper Newbie

I just returned from the annual conference of the Gluten Intolerance Group at which a pediatric expert from New Zealand presented a number of case studies of babies and young children. Your child's symptoms match exactly one of the case studies, and Dr. Ford explained at length that, yes, such a child should be placed on a gluten-free diet. He feels that it is unimportant to have all of the tests be positive when symptoms are so obvious and that if the child improves on a gluten-free diet, it should be considered a slam-dunk case of either celiac or gluten intolerance. He said that while there may be doctors who disagree with him, the health of the child is the most important thing.

dnyc Newbie

So if I go the enterolabs route, which tests will I need to do to get the most accurate results? After I do this I'll be going gluten free with her. That to me will be the overall test. Thank you for the input

I just checked the prices for the labs and there is NO WAY I can afford them. I'm a single mother and even with the help I have...I just can't afford it. I'm just going to try the gluten free diet and hope it helps her

Archived