This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Products And Medication Mfgs That Have High Cc

6ft6

6ft6 Newbie

Hello All!

I'll try not to be angry, but I'm near my very last inch of coping with this. I've had at least 4 generic and 1 brand name medication gluten the daylights out of me. Bystolic was the first one. It was gluten free when prescribed, but they changed the pill and I was on getting dosed for two weeks after getting a refill before I figured it out. It's now listed as avoid on the drug list. The others were from Zydus Pharm. Anyone had problems with these? I sometime have bad reactions to other things, such as vaccum packaged ribs and pork. I'd really appreciate people's input and I'll collect a list for re-post.

Thanks,

6ft6

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

6ft6 Newbie

No input from anyone?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I think the reason why no one has replied is none of us can really give you a for sure answer about the drugs. You have to call the maker. You can get a fact sheet from the pharmacy to find the number if they are not checking. You should remind them and make sure that 'celiac' is noted in your file. Your doctor will be clueless about this. Some pharms are not at all good about checking so it is good to do it yourself. If the number is not on the fact sheet then try a web search to find it.

As to the chicken and pork issue, if it is unprocessed fresh meat with no seasoning or broths added it should be safe. I have had one rare instance where in a small local market the staff would eat in the meat and produce prep areas. I once had a clerk in the meat dept spit out cracker crumbs when I asked her a question. Why anyone would eat around raw meat is beyond me but I stopped buying my meat there and now only get it at Wegmans where the area is completely open and no employees are allowed to eat in the prep areas.

Lily127 Rookie

I can add that I e-mailed Sandoz over a week ago (filled out the form they provide on their website) about their generic ambien (zolpidem tartrate) and haven't received any reply. THAT really frustrates me because I'm trying to go right to the source. It's 10mg's beige round with Z P L on it.

I called the pharmacy and the pharmacist said from what she can see of the ingredients it's ok but I would like to hear back from Sandoz.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I can add that I e-mailed Sandoz over a week ago (filled out the form they provide on their website) about their generic ambien (zolpidem tartrate) and haven't received any reply. THAT really frustrates me because I'm trying to go right to the source. It's 10mg's beige round with Z P L on it.

I called the pharmacy and the pharmacist said from what she can see of the ingredients it's ok but I would like to hear back from Sandoz.

Your pharmacist has those numbers and should be calling the Sandoz she can't tell by just looking at the ingredients. If they won't you might want to find a different pharmacey. It is their job to make sure the meds they give you are safe for you.

That said here is their phone number as it can take a bit for them to get back to you by email. Also there have been times when I have called a drug company that they have had to call me back, usually one to two days later because the rep on the phone may not have the answer and has to contact the lab.

Sandoz Inc.

506 Carnegie Center Drive,

Suite 400

Princeton, NJ 08540

Phone Numbers

Toll Free 1-800-525-8747

US Headquarters (609) 627-8500

FAX (609) 627-8659

DaffodElle Newbie

Gluten information regarding drugs is often difficult to obtain, even for pharmacists. I don't know how many times I've called drug companies looking for this info, and they are unable to give me any helpful information.

I have a list that was published in the journal Hospital Pharmacy that lists gluten-free drug manufacturers. I'll try to find it this week and post the info. Otherwise, you can look at www.glutenfreedrugs.com, a site maintained by a pharmacist. He does a lot of legwork to get the info that he has posted on there, and you can email him with specific requests for information.

Hope you get the information you need!

Elle

lovegrov Collaborator

Sometimes sit is indeed hard to get medication info. Some companies will tell you the medication is not formulated to have gluten but they won't make any guarantees about gluten-free status. This is a CYA legal statement, and in that case, I will take the med.

Also IMO, CC in the actual manufacture of the med is unlikely. Why? Because medication manufacturers simply can't afford to have one med contaminating a different med. The lawsuits would be horrendous. Just like the manufacturer, I can't make any guarantees about the inert ingredients made by a supplier, but I feel good about the lines used by the pharmaceutical company.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived