Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lischro

Tips For Preparing To Go Gluten-Free

Hi everyone,

I am still waiting for my blood test results, but am preparing myself to grocery shop/ and get ready to start the gluten-free diet next week. I was wondering if anyone has had "withdrawal" symptoms from cutting out gluten-containing products, and, if so, how to cope.

Just wondering what all I can expect.

Thanks all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Withdrawal symptoms are somewhat common, so far half of the people in my family who've had to go gluten-free have experienced withdrawal type symptoms. If your body tells you it needs to rest, then let it rest. Just be sure that you're getting an ample supply of nutrients in order to fuel it properly for the healing process. I wouldn't jump straight to the "gluten-free" grain products, they taste quite different and if you have one soon after going gluten-free you might only compare it against wheat products instead of against itself.

Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

I kept really wanting to eat cereal or something with wheat in it and was also irritable beyond belief. If you can, be sure that you truly eliminate gluten products from your kitchen to make slipping up harder.

A lot of people are very hungry-- part of it will probably be the ability to absorb nutrients again-- so just go with healthy foods.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable

3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG

4/2010 Negative biopsy

5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)

5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

I'm on day 5 of being gluten free and I've been having headaches each evening. Headaches are rare for me so it's either gluten withdrawal or a result of eating less. Prior to being gluten-free, I would frequently snack and now it's not as easy as walking in the kitchen and grabbing whatever I want. (I'm the only one gluten-free in the house.)

I stocked up with some safe snacks and loads of fruits, veggies, and nuts at the store yesterday.

My best advice prior to going gluten-free would be to gather a list of things you like (that are safe) and a "meal plan" with recipes if needed and fill your house up with all the food you'll need. One big change for me has been not being able to just order a pizza at 7pm after a busy day.

Good luck!

dana

gi problems started 12/09

bloodwork: negative 3/10

enterolab: + for antibodies 6/10

gluten-free & DF 7/10 and eager to start feeling better!

i have felt like i have been hit by a truck for the last 3 weeks (not to scare you)..reallllllllllly fatigued, like i was getting the worst flu ever....yet anxious and irritable.

however, today, i actually feel "ok" (ie pre gluten days) not great but not like i am going to die any time soon.

interestingly, i have NO cravings for gluten at all..although i have had gluten-free cereal and bread.

good luck, you may have nothing but good results very possibly!!!

TTG >200 (normal <10)

IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)

IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)

Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy

Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010

Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy