Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

curiousgirl

Cherrybrook Kitchen

Back to bed this morning trying to figure out what I ate out of the ordinary yesterday. It was the brownies (really out of the ordinary for me....since I'm diabetic and don't typically have desserts).

I'm looking at the ingredients and there are a few I'm concerned about because I've seen them before: dextrose, tapioca starch, potato starch and xanthum gum.

Did I read postings from people saying they have sensitivities to these ingredients?

I love what I do, and feel that it matters. How could anything be more fun?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Peoples sensitivities really vary. It is going to be hard for anyone to tell you what precisely you reacted to. I'm really sorry you are feeling so lousy. It may also have been just to much sugar for you. You could try items that contain only one of your suspect ingredients and not the others to see if you react. Like for example get some potato starch and make some beef stew using it as a thickener. If you know you tolerate dairy you could try tapioca pudding etc. The dextrose is simply sugar and if it was wheat derived it would say so by FDA regs. Xanthum gum is very common in gluten free baked goods so if you have had other products with that in it and not had a problem it's likely that is not an issue.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Me too girl. I made a gluten-free pizza yesterday. I know for a fact it was gluten-free but I spent the WHOLE night with horrible horrible gas and D. That is the only thing out of the ordinary I ate so no telling what it was.

Tiff

Started exhibiting symptoms 1979

DXed IBS 1987

Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010

Gluten free since July 12 2010

Carb&Sugar light August 2010

experimenting with being Grain light

Me too girl. I made a gluten-free pizza yesterday. I know for a fact it was gluten-free but I spent the WHOLE night with horrible horrible gas and D. That is the only thing out of the ordinary I ate so no telling what it was.

Tiff

You may need to avoid dairy for a bit. Or at least stick with hard cheeses like cheddar and yogurt. Many of us can't tolerate dairy until we heal a bit. I hope your feeling better today.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)