This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Have To Pop My Knees And Lower Back All The Time...

lischro

lischro Apprentice

So after being gluten free for about a month it's becoming more obvious that a lot of my symptoms are more related than I thought. One of these is the issue of popping my knees and back-

I'm young- 24 years old and live a pretty active lifestyle (when I have the energy) but for the past few years I've noticed an intense urge to pop my knees- they feel like they just have to pop all the time and when I kick out my leg they almost always pop. It's kind of continuous throughout the day. When I'm sitting, standing, driving etc.

I also experience this with my back. I have a lot of lower back pain, mostly when I'm severely constipated- but I find myself popping my back a lot during the day. Even when I wake up in the morning I twist around in my bed to pop my lower back.

What's the deal? Is this related or similar to anything any of you have experienced?

It's ok to tell me this is completely unrelated :P:)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Looking for answers Contributor

So after being gluten free for about a month it's becoming more obvious that a lot of my symptoms are more related than I thought. One of these is the issue of popping my knees and back-

I'm young- 24 years old and live a pretty active lifestyle (when I have the energy) but for the past few years I've noticed an intense urge to pop my knees- they feel like they just have to pop all the time and when I kick out my leg they almost always pop. It's kind of continuous throughout the day. When I'm sitting, standing, driving etc.

I also experience this with my back. I have a lot of lower back pain, mostly when I'm severely constipated- but I find myself popping my back a lot during the day. Even when I wake up in the morning I twist around in my bed to pop my lower back.

What's the deal? Is this related or similar to anything any of you have experienced?

It's ok to tell me this is completely unrelated :P:)

Thanks!

Autoimmune diseases and food intolerances cause a lot of inflammation in the body, which can lead to pain and discomfort. When I was your age (I'm 32 now) and eating gluten, I felt like a 90-year old woman. I had bad lower back pain and my siatic (sp?) nerve would often freeze up and I would have trouble walking until it worked itself out. Now I'm glad to report the pain only comes back if I've eaten something I shouldn't.

K8ling Enthusiast

I am hyperflexible, 6'1" and weighing in at a whopping 159 pounds. My physical therapist told me that I pop because my frame is so long...I am just really lanky. It's possible that it's the autoimmune joint swelling (in which case you would be sore too) or you could just have hyperlax joints :). My knees, elbows, neck, hips, back...everything pops on me. I am also freakishly good at yoga lol.

srall Contributor

My neck pops all the time. I didn't realize my chronic neck pain was actually joint pain, not muscle pain, until I went gluten free. It's eased up a lot but if I have gluten, or another offending food the pain comes back and my neck pops again.

missceliac2010 Apprentice

I am 35 and have had bad back problems since I was 25. Before going gluten-free, I was in such chronic pain that I was on a heavy dose of a pain patch called Fentanyl. It's serious stuff...look it up.... AND I took, on average, 100 percocet per month, and it didn't touch my pain. Anyway, since going gluten-free, I am now totally of the extra percocet (I have a mere 30 vicodin per month for "flares", and I don't even need that much!) I am also tapering off my pain patches with great success! Me and my doctor think that within a month, I will be free of all pain medicine. And I could have gone off of it faster, but the heavy drugs I had to be on to keep me out of pain have such gnarly side-effects, that I have to taper very slowly, or else experience strong withdrawal symptoms.

Before my Celiac diagnosis, I thought I was sentenced to a life of pain killers and back pain. I had to stop being active (At one point in my life, before the Celiac "flared", I was running 10 miles per week), and did not much more than sit on the couch. Sitting through a family event was almost impossible, and my pain kept me home and sad more than I can tell you.

So is cracking of the joints/joint pain Celiac related? I say hell yes! My back used to be terrible. I was told I had a bulging disk (which I still have, but it's very minor) and severe arthritis in my back and joints. I didn't have arthritis, I had Celiac Disease! I got my life back since going gluten-free, and I hope you notice changes too. And if you "keep crackin", as long as it's not painful, I hope you learn to live with your "cracky-ness"! LOL! :0)

bridgetm Enthusiast

I've had similar problems with my back and knees but they were thought to be caused by 6 surgeries in one knee and the effects compensation and limping on my other knee and lower back. I am only 20, but I often sound like a 90 year old when I stand up. I did notice improvement when I went gluten-free but that coincided with an exceptionally good stretch of rehab so I thought nothing of it. However, if I eat something questionable those symptoms return. I was glutened this week and am now popping and cracking all the time.

Archived