Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheryl_C

Recovering From Glutening

I've been gluten-free for about two months now, and last week (Thursday) I got glutened at a Casey's. I ate, and ended up with D, sinus migraine, ear pain, and general malaise. Ugh.

For the next few days after that, I went from D to constipation. (The D lasted just the one day - two episodes.) I was still feeling tired, bloated (from the constipation I guess, and from what my bowels had been through), headachy and brain foggy.

It's been almost a week now. Finally today I had a regular BM (overshare, I know, lol sorry) but still feel bloated and cramped.

This is my first post-gluten-free glutening episode, so I need some help with this recovery process. What can I do to speed it up? Does it sound like it's progressing normally? Should I be concerned that I'm still bloated and having some gas cramps and a bit of sinus/ear pain?

Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't think anyone has found a cure for it. Drink tons of water, rest. Eat clean so your body can heal.

HUGS

Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.

Ready to get well and get on with my life!

Odd, I got glutened last Thursday too!

Today was the first day I could eat most of my normal things. The days before this, anything stronger than ice cream would send my intestines into revolt. It'll probably be another day or two before I'm back to 100%.

Stick to bland foods. Cold foods, for whatever reason, seem to help me. Just go easy on yourself and let your body work itself out.

You can also try to drink a lot of liquid (flush yourself out), or take anti-histamines or ibuprofen to reduce swelling. Wear comfortable, roomy clothes too; otherwise things won't be able to move through your system easily (it's also just more comfortable.)

Try Gas-x to relieve the gas. You can take stuff for constipation; generally you shouldn't take stuff for diarrhea--exceptions for people with vulnerable health--(your body needs to get the gluten out as fast as possible--in that way, diarrhea is a good thing, even if it doesn't seem like it.)

You can do lots of little things like this, but mostly you have to wait it out.

Thank you both for the advice. I've been pushing the water like never before (not usually a big water drinker) and it seems to be helping a bit ... though I'm making more midnight loo trips than my 90-year-old auntie! :P

I've been eating a yogurt each morning the last three days in an attempt to get my bowels moving again, and it seems to be helping though I think it's caused some gas/cramping/bloating as well. Do you get the feeling you can't win sometimes?! After the glutening, the D hit me while I was out (of course) so I had to load up on Immodium to make it home. Then, as a result, ended up cramped and constipated. Sigh.

I'm not familiar with Gas-X, so I'll look into it in the store. Thanks for the recommendation!

Gas X is gluten free

Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------

Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10

Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

Thank you both for the advice. I've been pushing the water like never before (not usually a big water drinker) and it seems to be helping a bit ... though I'm making more midnight loo trips than my 90-year-old auntie! :P

I've been eating a yogurt each morning the last three days in an attempt to get my bowels moving again, and it seems to be helping though I think it's caused some gas/cramping/bloating as well. Do you get the feeling you can't win sometimes?! After the glutening, the D hit me while I was out (of course) so I had to load up on Immodium to make it home. Then, as a result, ended up cramped and constipated. Sigh.

I'm not familiar with Gas-X, so I'll look into it in the store. Thanks for the recommendation!

I