This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Will The Weight Gain Stop?

twinkle-toez

twinkle-toez Apprentice

Okay, I've posted a couple of times before on these boards, but this time, I must apologize in advance if this post is kind of all over the place and frantic sounding... I'm really worried and trying not to freak so I'd really appreciate input that people have or advice...

I'm 26 years old and do not have a formal diagnosis of celiac. I however, have a host of neurological issues attributable to celiac (neuropathies, previous balance problems, gait problems, peripheral neuropathies, migraines, night sweats), as well as some of the digestive complaints, depression that does not respond to meds, iron deficiency anemia that does not respond to meds and polycystic ovaries. I should probably add that I have a history of anorexia nervosa, and am extremely nervous regarding my weight at the best of times.

I have been on a gluten-free diet for about a month now and my digestive problems are a million times better, as are the headaches and night sweats. What I find worrisome is that I've gained five pounds completely unintentionally during this time. I have always been very slim (lowest possible healthy BMI), but I"ve never had to work to maintain that. With my appetite, I find myself either completely ravenously hungry, or not hungry at all. I don't know if fluctuating between the two extremes is normal. I also find myself ridiculously thirsty all the time, and I just can't seem to quench my thirst no matter how much I drink (I plan on getting checked for diabetes early next week). I crave things like diet coke, jam, and sweet things as well (not sweet like pastry, more sweet like jelly beans and candy, but nothing seems to satisfy) which is also very abnormal for me. I've found these cravings to be much worse within the past couple of weeks... Is this normal?

During my gluten-free period I've done my best to cut out dairy, although I do slip once in awhile as I love tea, but cannot stand it without milk. I've tried to also mostly stick to a whole foods diet, although admittedly I do rice cakes as well as rice crackers. I've also re-introduced animal protein (chicken, fish, seafood) into my diet after 3 years of vegetarianism.

I guess I"m just really really worried that my weight is going to keep going up... I've read that it can go up a bit as your body starts to absorb nutrients it wasn't getting before, but I"m scared that it won't stop...Sorry for being rambly, but does anyone have advice or similar stories? Is there a way that I can force the weight to stop from increasing without being really unhealthy about it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Hi, there. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better gluten-free.

I suspect you're into some blood sugar issues that are causing the shifting hunger and sugar cravings. The rice and potatoes we rely on so heavily for carbs have a much stronger tendency to cause blood sugar spikes than wheat. Brown rice is better than white rice, and sweet potatoes better than white potatoes. Also, a lot of people who start the gluten-free diet and had malabsorption find they are suddenly hungrier as their bodies "realize" they're getting nutrition again.

Are you still working with a nutritionist? I think I remember you said you had a diet plan worked out in another post that was the right amount of calories to stay healthy? If that's the case, the best thing to do to keep from relapsing would be to work out a new, gluten-free plan that you can stick to. You will not gain weight indefinitely by eating a reasonable amount of food, especially with the exercise you get from dancing. I am sure gaining a few pounds is very troubling to you, and you also may want to see about talking to whatever counselor or doctor has helped you with body image in the past.

Good luck with it all!

Katie B Apprentice

I'm sure you've probably read up on it already but you might want to increase your intake of protein as well - something like talapia/chicken is low in calories but high in protein and should help you with your blood sugar. Not sure what the ratio of protein and fat to carbs diabetics have to follow but I know it's different than a "normal" diet. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it and it sounds like your appointment is soon so perhaps you could also request to see a dietician to manage all of these things - it isn't easy dealing with celiac disease along with blood sugar issues and switching from vegetarianism to eating meat again. It's not surprising you're anxious! It is hopeful that you are feeling better though and getting to the bottom of things. Sounds like once you've made it through this learning curve you'll be on the right path.

Virlomi Newbie

:)

I'm happy someone else is experiencing this weight gain. I was diagnosed with Celiac last December by the blood test, and I'm overweight.... I thought Celiac was for people who are -underweight-, so it's nice to see someone else with the same (ish) problem.

Thanks for the sweet potato idea Katie.

Archived