Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

one more mile

Veggies, Not Salad, What Do I Eat?

My main reason for not eating many fresh veggies is that my fridge although only 6 years old has always had a thing for freezing veggies. I don't know why the repair guy does not know why. To day I made the tastiest, grosses looking soup and am now a bundle of energy. I basically lightly fried small amounts of about ten vegies and added water, chicken bullion, a little lemon juice and brags amenio acids, ginger, garlic, and fresh parsley. man it was amazing. My question is what is the most nutritious way to store this? Should I make a big batch and just put it in fridge? Should I make it every other day so the vegetables are in there natural state longer?( but leafy stuff tends to freeze) or should I make it and freeze portions of it in glad bowels?

since my body seems to still have trouble absorbing nutrition I ground all the vegies in a food processer first and only cooked it for a short while. The flavors were wonderful.

I am currently working on getting off sugar. I am 5'2" 47 years old, gluten free for two years and my weight hangs at 162 to 167. Although happy to be off the weight yo-yo I would like to get of blood pressure and diabetes medications and cholesterol medications. Doctor says all I should eat is meat cause my levels are low. Meat makes me ill. Beef 2 or 3 times a year, mostly eat organic chicken,salmon, pork and eggs.

now I tend to live on things out of bags,chips, cheetos,cheese, almond milk, soft serve ice cream and 1 cup of coffee a day, gluten free cookies, lara bars,oatmeal, salmon, no wonder I am fat. Home baked items using nut flours.

Its time for me to take the next step in nutrition for myself. With all the diets and fads and doctors advise I am confused what the heck should I really eat?

I do plan on adding more soups, juicing a few times a week, and oatmeal. Any tips?

cant eat soy, rice only in small amounts, milk seems to create a milk craving.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

For the soup I would try freezing one portion to test how it comes out. Most soups freeze really well, but some may lose flavor or change texture after being frozen. I don't know about nutrition changing, if the soup is cooked I wouldn't think freezing would change the nutrition much (but I could be wrong). Try freezing one serving and then thaw it several days or even a week later to find out how well it freezes. Then if it works you can make a big batch to save time, if it doesn't you haven't lost much.

As far as other things you can make that all depends on how much you cook. If you don't like to cook much or just don't have the time you can always just stock up on those bags of frozen veggies that steam right in the microwave. I use those often on my lazy nights when my meals consist of just grilled meat and steamed vegetables.

If you like to cook or want to learn how, the first thing you should learn is how to store vegetables. Many vegetables in their uncut state actually should not be put in the fridge. Tomatoes is one example I can think of--they get a bad texture when stored in a fridge; it's better to keep them on the counter unless you won't be using them in the next few days. Another one is onions--you can keep them out of the fridge as long as they are unpeeled and uncut. Pretty much anything in the supermarket that is not refrigerated can be left out of your fridge for a day or two, but research things if you don't know for sure. If you can plan more of your meals around veggies that either can be frozen or stay out of the fridge then you may not have to worry about your broken fridge destroying the veggies.

Another tip is, with fresh veggies is it's better to buy frequently. This can be hard if you don't live close to a store, but if you do live close to one go two or three times a week instead of buying everything for a week or two of eating. It takes more planning that way, but you end up with less waste and fresher produce because you can use it within a couple days of buying it.

If you are looking for some cooking inspiration here's a blog I like that has all veggies recipes (not all gluten free, but many are): http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/ From that link, if you click on "recipe box" you can search all her recipes alphabetical by vegetable. So if you're looking for a way to prepare asparagus you can see all the ways she has made asparagus.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Diabetes diet management is all about carbs. If you can get on a low-carb diet you have a good chance of seeing good results with the meds, weigh and cholesterol. It might kill 3 birds with one stone. Making progress with diabetes managemnet will get you the farthest and should be your first focus. Dr. Richard Bernstein is a doctor with diabetes himself and has developed a low-carb diet specifically designed for those with diabetes. He is in excellent health at 70 something so is proof that it works. http://www.diabetes-book.com/index.shtml Even if you decided not to follow his plan to the letter, I think you could gain alot from reading up on it. He gives very good info. on the basics of diabetes and how our bodies work. It would go a long way toward helping you make more informed food choices. It is gluten-free compatible and can be done even if you have other restrictions. Some of us can't have dairy, soy etc. but are able to adapt. I was a little concerned being on such a restrictive diet for so long,very-low-carb, minus many other things due to allergies, that I would end up with some deficiences but my blood work is great!

There are many things about diabetes that we don't just have to accept. We have alot of power to get the outcome we desire. It can take some work and sacrifices but it is well worth it.

Good for you for trying to ditch the sugar and keep up the low-carb almond meal baking.

Does your doctor want you to eat red meat because your iron levels are low?

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies