Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quincy

Vitamin D Levels In The Tank

I am 5 months gluten-free and my recent blood work shows the antibody level went from 51 to 8 with the other indicators still positive (can't remember which ones they are). So I am heading in the right direction with the celiac numbers.

However, my Vitamin D levels went down!! from 16 to 11.... after a summer in the sun almost every day, 50,000 IUs once a week for 3 months. and sublingual liquid D3 every day.... not sure what is up with this.

generally, does anyone have any advice? My HDL number went up from 33 to 38 so it seems that I am beginning to get some fatty acid absorption again, but it seems slow.

thanks in advance for any input from those that have had successful outcomes with vit D, or from those that are confirming they are still struggling.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I do know that consuming fat with the vitamin D helps, since it is a fat soluble vitamin. Actually, "vitamin" D is in fact a hormone. Perhaps coconut oil would help you with the fatty acids, since it has a large portion of MCFAs, which take an entirely different route of absorption than other fats. I've found it to be very helpful.

There are other nutrients involved with the production/conversion of vitamin D, so it might be worth taking a multivitamin/mineral and maybe a co-enzyme B-complex.

Also, you need to get the right test for serum levels of vitamin D. Not all are accurate. Here's some good info on the subject which you may find helpful: http://lifeandhealthnetwork.org/index.php?/episode/shedding_light_on_vitamin_d/

HTH

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I do know that consuming fat with the vitamin D helps, since it is a fat soluble vitamin. Actually, "vitamin" D is in fact a hormone. Perhaps coconut oil would help you with the fatty acids, since it has a large portion of MCFAs, which take an entirely different route of absorption than other fats. I've found it to be very helpful.

There are other nutrients involved with the production/conversion of vitamin D, so it might be worth taking a multivitamin/mineral and maybe a co-enzyme B-complex.

Also, you need to get the right test for serum levels of vitamin D. Not all are accurate. Here's some good info on the subject which you may find helpful: http://lifeandhealthnetwork.org/index.php?/episode/shedding_light_on_vitamin_d/

HTH

great thanks for the info. I am switching to Vit D3 10,000 IU's 6x's a week instead of the D2 50,000 IU's.

I had the same issue, with vitamin D going down even though I am outside in heavy sun a large part of the day.

One of the things I found when trying to figure this out is that problems with your thyroid, kidneys and...hmm...maybe it was liver? (can't recall the last) seem to be related to low vitamin D levels. There was speculation that they might be needed to synthesize the vitamin D from the sun.

Do you have any hypothyroidism or something like that?

I am 5 months gluten-free and my recent blood work shows the antibody level went from 51 to 8 with the other indicators still positive (can't remember which ones they are). So I am heading in the right direction with the celiac numbers.

However, my Vitamin D levels went down!! from 16 to 11.... after a summer in the sun almost every day, 50,000 IUs once a week for 3 months. and sublingual liquid D3 every day.... not sure what is up with this.

generally, does anyone have any advice? My HDL number went up from 33 to 38 so it seems that I am beginning to get some fatty acid absorption again, but it seems slow.

thanks in advance for any input from those that have had successful outcomes with vit D, or from those that are confirming they are still struggling.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

I had the same issue, with vitamin D going down even though I am outside in heavy sun a large part of the day.

One of the things I found when trying to figure this out is that problems with your thyroid, kidneys and...hmm...maybe it was liver? (can't recall the last) seem to be related to low vitamin D levels. There was speculation that they might be needed to synthesize the vitamin D from the sun.

Do you have any hypothyroidism or something like that?

hmmm. liver, kidney function normal as far as I can tell. complete blood panels all show normal levels. Functional Medicine doctor feels that the all the vit D is being utilized to rebuild bone from the osteopenia. not sure if that is a valid conclusion but she is a chemist/internist/oncologist so I hope she is right. in the meanting taking the Vit D3 10000 IUs daily w K.