Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nananana

What's Up With This?

I went gluten-free in support of my husband. Totally unexpectedly, my health began to improve. A bumpy, sometimes itchy, rash just under the skin on my arms disappeared! My hair quit falling out. Nails were stronger. Mind sharper. Stomach flattened. A lot of "little things" got better.

Headaches were something I never had. Not seldom, NEVER! Never had allergies -runny nose, itchy eyes, scratchy throat - never a sinus infection. (all of my siblings do)

BUT, after 5 weeks of gluten-free, I suddenly had a terrible headache at my temples and along the back of my neck. I checked the label and there it was, we had accidently eaten gluten! My stomach became upset - was I becoming a hypochondriac?? By the end of the day the rash and brain fog were back. And now, whenever a headache comes, we check for the gluten connection. And it is always there!

Does this sound crazy to you? I never had a headache eating LOTS of gluten - but now that I've been gluten-free, I react to a small crumb of wheat? Has anyone else experienced this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I believe this is where I sound like granpa Simpson and say: welcome to my world! ;)

Most Celiacs notice that their symptoms to gluten increase - or start in the first place - after they have been gluten free for a while. So...sounds like you may have found out something about your health, eh?

That is completely where I'm at, although I was diagnosed officially (due to something else entirely). I never noticed a reaction to eating gluten. I had health problems, but they didn't coincide specifically to me eating something and then reacting, you know? Now, after a year away from gluten? If I get the tiniest, teeniest amount, I get vertigo, nausea, headaches, vomiting.

Blech.

So your experience is completely within the Celiac realm of possibility. Although it congratulations on figuring out something that is making you feel better and healthier!!

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

It seems to be fairly common for people to develop a "tolerance" level when constantly eating gluten, and then lose it after being gluten-free for a while.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Your experiences are really common. I never had stomach problems prior to going gluten free. I had other symptoms, but not the typical digestive ones. Now the smallest crumb and I have bad stomach pain and D for days in addition to all my other symptoms. It sounds like you have a gluten intolerance. Welcome to the board!

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

I can't thank you all enough for explaining this to me! This site has really been helpful. I've been looking over all of the gluten health issues and unfortunately it reads like my family's history.

We have been off gluten for about 6 weeeks now, so should we send for the Enterolab test or is there another one that would give us an accurate result?

I can't thank you all enough for explaining this to me! This site has really been helpful. I've been looking over all of the gluten health issues and unfortunately it reads like my family's history.

We have been off gluten for about 6 weeeks now, so should we send for the Enterolab test or is there another one that would give us an accurate result?

You could go with Enterolab but keep in mind that they don't diagnose they look for antibodies in the stool but that is not considered diagnostic by most doctors. For all the other available tests you would need to go back on gluten for a couple of months before testing.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)