Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kuda1

Anyone Experience This Symptom?

Hello, my name is Andrew. This appears to have started 9 months ago. It is very unpleasant, however I am not sure what it means. I suffered with these things for 9 months thinking it had something to do with my antibiotic treatment for Lyme disease.

Basically when I eat anything with gluten in it, I get painful canker sores on the back of my mouth/throat. I don't think I have Celiac because I have no other symptoms. I am 25 years old and this just came out of nowhere. I am pretty sure that this is caused by eating gluten, because when I make sure to have no gluten they go away, and then when i screw up they come back really bad.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thank you,

Andrew

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello, my name is Andrew. This appears to have started 9 months ago. It is very unpleasant, however I am not sure what it means. I suffered with these things for 9 months thinking it had something to do with my antibiotic treatment for Lyme disease.

Basically when I eat anything with gluten in it, I get painful canker sores on the back of my mouth/throat. I don't think I have Celiac because I have no other symptoms. I am 25 years old and this just came out of nowhere. I am pretty sure that this is caused by eating gluten, because when I make sure to have no gluten they go away, and then when i screw up they come back really bad.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thank you,

Andrew

canker sores are definitely a sign of celiac...I had a sore throat for MONTHS and since I have been gluten-free for about 6 weeks, it has absolutely gone away..I never even mentioned it to my Dr. because I had so many weird, non GI seemingly unrelated symptoms which all seem to have come from celiac.

If you think you have celiac and are able to, I would definitely get it checked out.

TTG >200 (normal <10)

IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)

IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)

Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy

Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010

Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

Canker sores plagued me from about the age of 6. They were one of the first symptoms to dissappear when I went gluten free. They also pop back up when I slip up. The mouth is part of the digestive tract. If you notice gluten is a trigger for canker sores, just imagine what is happening further down the GI system.

Canker sores are my first and most reliable indication of when I have been exposed to gluten. I had them horribly for years, then they disappeared within 2 weeks of going gluten free - I was so happy!

I don't think you should treat it too lightly, it means that somehow the gluten is damaging your body. Your only obvious symptom may be the sores, but you don't know how else they may be effecting you. If you want to get tested for celiac then kepe eating lots of gluten until all the testing is done. If you're not too worried about testing then try the gluten free diet and see how you feel - you may be surprised!

This post made me think of something from my childhood. What I now know as canker sores, my mother called lie bumps :huh: . She said that is what her g-mother called them and said you would get them from telling a lie. I grew up being told this nonsense. It makes sense that people in my family had enough of them to give them a name, almost everyone has had or has bowel issues of some sort.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.