Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aphreal

"what? Flour In Cookies?

I found what appeared to be flourless cookies at HEB in the bakery. To verify, I asked 2 bakery employees. One said he watched the baker and indeed, he did not use flour. The ingredients are basically coco powder, powered sugar, eggs and vanilla. I looked at the other lady to confirm and she said.... "flour In cookies? There is no flour in cookies" So I pointed to the entire bakery and told her Yes, there is flour in every one of their cookies but I only cared about THIS cookie. She gave me a dumblook like I was crazy. "Who puts flour in cookies?"

O M G. This is a bakery where they bake all their goods on premise and most of the cookies are made from scratch right there.

I told the guy he needs to put a big BIG sign saying FLOURLESS COOKIES! They would sell like hotcakes. He is going to talk to the manager about it. :)

Started exhibiting symptoms 1979

DXed IBS 1987

Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010

Gluten free since July 12 2010

Carb&Sugar light August 2010

experimenting with being Grain light

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm confused, were the cookies REALLY flourless or did they misunderstand and think you were asking about flowers? Or are bakers really that uninformed about what flour is? I have seen some flourless cookie recipes. Peanut butter (or sunbutter) are really easy to make flourless. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were flourless, but I think I wouldn't trust them if they were made on site. Bakeries are full of flour dust, not to mention all the flour that would be in the equipment.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

TRue enough.. CC would be high. The young man knew what I was referring to because he bakes flour free. The woman seemed like an idiot (sorry)

They are exactly like the ones I found at central market. I ate 2 and now I have gurgling and gas so.. I guess CC. I didn't even THINK about all the flour they use on site. Even if they don't IN the cookie. I wonder if the dust the pans....

Oh well! Back to making me own lol. So much for convenience right?

Started exhibiting symptoms 1979

DXed IBS 1987

Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010

Gluten free since July 12 2010

Carb&Sugar light August 2010

experimenting with being Grain light

TRue enough.. CC would be high. The young man knew what I was referring to because he bakes flour free. The woman seemed like an idiot (sorry)

They are exactly like the ones I found at central market. I ate 2 and now I have gurgling and gas so.. I guess CC. I didn't even THINK about all the flour they use on site. Even if they don't IN the cookie. I wonder if the dust the pans....

Oh well! Back to making me own lol. So much for convenience right?

Ah, that makes sense now. I could tell someone was clueless in your story, but I wasn't sure if it was the just the woman or the baker too. I would hope a baker would know what flour is, but I've heard some crazy things so who knows. It's kind of like the people that think white bread doesn't have any wheat flour in it.

ETA: I meant to also say, I'm sorry you got glutened :( If it makes you feel any better, I did something similar a couple days ago and I still have the bloated pregnant-looking belly to show for it.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)