This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Should I Do Now?

jeanne-

jeanne- Rookie

My history is: been contipatated since my fist memories, depressed since kindergarten, dx'ed IBS in 1984, dx'ed hypothyroid in 2003, IgG pos. for wheat, dairy, egg, corn in 2004ish, bloating after meals, and I get nauseated after eating dairy. After doing some research, I went gluten free in Sept. Went to my doctor last week, he did some blood work.

ANA neg

DNA, double stranded neg

Mitochondrial AB neg

endomysial ab, Ig A neg

gliadin ABS, IgG and IgA neg

Anti-thyroglobulin AB 86

Anti thyroid persoxidase AB `1362

Free T4 1.17

TSH 0.748

final dx: gluten sensitive enteropathy and Hashimoto thyroiditis.

My doctor is sending me to an endocrinologist. I feel better on a gluten free diet. My question is, because I was gluten free prior to the blood work being done, I now know that the results could be a false negative. Is it worth the time, trouble and expense to get the genetic testing since i will be staying gluten free anyway? I have put the entire family on the diet in hopes of doing preventative medicine for future autoimmune diseases (daughter has vitiligo, husband has ankylosising sponylitis).

Thank you for your input.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You are correct that your being on the diet would make the blood tests a false negative. I personally wouldn't bother with the genetic tests. They are not diagnostic and if they only check for 2 of the genes, which is really common, it can be confusing rather than enlightening. If your doing well on the diet that is the most important diagnostic there is.

WheatChef Apprentice

The most useful test in all of medicine:

-Does it hurt if you do this?

-yes

-Ok, don't do that.

You say you tested IgG positive for wheat a number of years ago, do you know specifically what protein they were testing? I could easily see back then the doctor just describing a gluten test as a wheat test.

Fantastic move on the part of switching the family! Preventative medicine is the best type always.

jeanne- Rookie

Thank you Raven and Wheatchef for your responses. Your common sense approach and experience is much appreciated. When I tested pos. for wheat allergy (gluten) the doctor told me to ue the four day rotational diet. Permission to cheat every four days. Sounded great. Now I know I shouldn't cheat. Shift in attitutde.I just want to do what's right for me and the kids. You are right, it doesn't matter what the doc say, we need to do what makes us feel better. Thank you.

Archived