Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leah's Mom

Sign New Online Petition To Mandate Gluten-Free Labeling On All Pharmaceutical Products

I sent this to all of my friends - hope some of them sign

I would need a better understanding of the impact first. If you label it gluten free, there are legal ramifications for the company. Given that they may have to change their sources on some ingredients frequently, this will undoubtably add to the cost of medications as well, besides the additional cost of testing. As you have seen here, some people react to very small quantities, so are you going to require the most sensitive tests (which still can't tell you if there is zero gluten, but only less than a particular amount) and then mislead people who think that means it's safe for them when it's not?

It's not an easy issue to address. I understand the need to address it, but just telling someone to do something that nobody knows how to do, while holding them to unspoken expectations, is generally a recipe for nothing to happen, or little to happen very slowly.

People like to talk about the "cost" of medications but they ignore 3 things - the "cost" of downtime from getting sick from being glutened, the cost of playing Manufacturing Crime Scene Detective when the pharmacy isn't going to do anything other than tell you to call the distributor/manufacturer to see if they know anything, and the massive profits the pharmaRx industry is making, not only by overcharging after having the creation made for pennies in a very low wage company, but then by charging $200 -$500 for some of these concoctions, profiting by putting the cheapest mystery ingredients into these drugs.

People like to talk about the "cost" of medications but they ignore 3 things - the "cost" of downtime from getting sick from being glutened, the cost of playing Manufacturing Crime Scene Detective when the pharmacy isn't going to do anything other than tell you to call the distributor/manufacturer to see if they know anything, and the massive profits the pharmaRx industry is making, not only by overcharging after having the creation made for pennies in a very low wage company, but then by charging $200 -$500 for some of these concoctions, profiting by putting the cheapest mystery ingredients into these drugs.

You're only thinking about the cost to yourself. Only 1% of the population is celiac; only 1% would need this testing. But you would increase the cost of the drugs for EVERYONE who used them - including those who don't need it. If that's a $5 increase in cost per prescription, that's $95 out of $100 dollars that is being spent to NOT help people. I'm not saying this is sufficient reason, but it is a big part of the business perspective on the issue.