Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maryann10

Blood Test And Antibiotics

THis is my first post and I'm grateful to be here. Hello everyone!!!

I had an endoscopy done a few weeks ago and they found evidence of celiac on the duodenal biopsy and GERD. Shortly after I came down with yet another sinus infection and am currently on antibiotics. How long should I wait to have the celiac panel done after I stop taking the meds? I do not want to affect the test in any way.

I've suffered from sinus issues, ADD, depression, anxiety and general fatigue as long as I can remember. I'm lactose intolerant though the degree seems to change with diet (vegetarian-severe, carnivore-not so much). No one ever considered celiac probably because I didnt' have typical gastro symptoms.

If anyone can help with the meds question, it would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

Maryann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!

I am not aware of any interaction between antibiotics and the blood tests for celiac disease.

Antibiotics attack bacteria. Bacteria are not a part of the celiac autoimmune reaction according to anything I have ever seen.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

The antibiotics won't make a difference. What will matter is whether or not you're eating gluten. If you're off gluten, the test could be falsely negative. My best advice: get the bloodwork done, then get off gluten and see if you get better. There's no reason to delay your health any longer than absolutely necessary.

Best of luck to you!

The antibiotics, as stated will not effect the celiac panel. Do go gluten free after the panel is done. You don't need to wait for the results as you have already had a positive biopsy. False negatives are not uncommon even on a full gluten diet but with the positive biopsy that 'trumps' the blood test anyway.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks so much. I will get in there this week and am planning on eliminating all gluten as soon as the test is done. This is going to be a journey and it is reassuring to know that there are others out there who understand and can help along the way.