Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFshay

Vertigo/dizziness After Going gluten-free?

I have been gluten-free for 3 weeks now, and have had a few days here and there when I feel lightheaded and have quick episodes of moderate vertigo, which tend to come and go throughout the day. I haven't seen any connection to eating something that might be contaminated, and have been very strict with my diet so far.

I haven't noticed these sorts of issues before going gluten free, although it's possible I just wasn't aware because I was so off all the time.

Has anyone experienced these kinds of symptoms from other food sensitivities? I've read from other posts that it might be B12 or iron deficiencies, but why would they show up as I'm starting to heal? Any ideas?

Positive blood test on several indicators Aug '10

Visual damage seen via endoscopy Oct '10

Diagnosed Celiac with "3B" damage via positive biopsy Oct '10

Gluten Free since 10/9/10

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I get those symptoms with CC. They could also be due to deficiencies so it might be a good idea to have your vitamin and mineral levels checked. What are you typically eating? Are you eating in restaurants? Are you eating mostly whole unprocessed food? Have you deglutened your home and your toiletries?

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks for the suggestions...

I'm waiting to get in with my doc for follow-ups to test my nutrient levels... I have about a week still to go before that.

I haven't eaten at any restaurants since starting the gluten-free diet. I've checked my toiletries and they all seem okay, although there's a chance I haven't recognized some ingredient in there. There are a couple things that might be cross-contaminating me (I accepted a cookie from a friend who tried to make me a batch of gluten-free cookies, and I also haven't yet changed my birth control which isn't on the gluten-free drug list- Reclipsen-- although I don't think it has any actual gluten ingredients so I thought it would be okay for a month). I sort of didn't think I'd be that sensitive at this early stage, but maybe...

I used to have similar reactions to egg about 15 years ago when I was little, so it could be that too. So far I haven't really seen a solid connection though.

Positive blood test on several indicators Aug '10

Visual damage seen via endoscopy Oct '10

Diagnosed Celiac with "3B" damage via positive biopsy Oct '10

Gluten Free since 10/9/10

Sometime when you remove the loudest voices, you can begin to hear the smaller ones.

Do have a full metabolic panel done to make sure all your vitamins and minerals are on a good level.

As you mentioned, and I can attest, low B-12 and Folic can make you wonder. :unsure:

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien