Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nadia2009

Could This Child Have Celiac?

This child felt very tired and dizzy today while we were hicking. He needed a lot of breaks and while talking to him and asking him if there was anything I didn't know about his health, he said all his family has diabetes.

Other things I can tell you about him: he is overweight, he doesn't focus well and has learning difficulties. He gets frustrated/irritated easily.

What are the symptomes of prediabetes so that I can compare with celiac?

May 2009: IgG abnormal (not tested for full panel)

Sept 2009: Negative blood tests (I was on and off gluten)

Sept 21 2009: gluten free

Sept 21 2011: gluten free for 2 full years

Dec 2012: chronic fatigue and leaky gut.

Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.

March 2012: modified GAPS diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

As per the Mayo Clinic:

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic staff

Often, prediabetes has no signs or symptoms.

Darkened areas of skin, a condition called acanthosis nigricans, is one of the few signs of prediabetes. Common areas that may be affected include the neck, armpits, elbows, knees and knuckles.

Classic red flags of type 2 diabetes to watch for include:

* Increased thirst

* Frequent urination

* Fatigue

* Blurred vision

This being said, I have a family history of diabetes. The members of my family who eat well and get a lot of exercise are diabetes-free. Those who did not have diabetes. He is certainly at risk, and some intervention may be needed.

Diabetic parents normally feed their kids the same crap that's killing them. If he's overweight as a kid it's probably more likely to be diabetes/insulin resistance that it is to be a condition that prevents food absorption.

Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".