This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 + Biopsies, - Blood Test. Confused

lorid888

lorid888 Newbie

So I had a positive tests on my biopsy, now just was told my blood was at 9, which is negative. Blood also shows anemia. Pathology says celiac, nurse says not if blood is negative.

Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Welcome to the board.

False negatives are fairly common, but false positives are very rare.

Did they do a total serum IgA test? If your total immune system is not functioning fully, then false negatives will occur on the gluten-specific tests.

Skylark Collaborator

So I had a positive tests on my biopsy, now just was told my blood was at 9, which is negative. Blood also shows anemia. Pathology says celiac, nurse says not if blood is negative.

Any advice?

Did your doctor address the estimated 20-30% false negative rate on blood tests? Idiopathic anemia is strongly associated with celiac disease. If your biopsy showed lymphocytic infiltration only, your doctor may have some more ruling out to do. My understanding is that only celiac causes villous atrophy, though you should ask your doctor.

cassP Contributor

im not your doc, nor do i know all the details that Skylark is mentioning... but my reaction is: your biopsy is "positive" and pathology says Celiac... dont let a nurse negate that or cause you to second guess.

good luck with it all... make sure you go over it with your doctor.

lorid888 Newbie

im not your doc, nor do i know all the details that Skylark is mentioning... but my reaction is: your biopsy is "positive" and pathology says Celiac... dont let a nurse negate that or cause you to second guess.

good luck with it all... make sure you go over it with your doctor.

Thanks for the advice!

Waiting for dr to call back with recommendations. All I know is when I dont eat gluten, I'm not sick. Whe n I do, I feel horrible!! We will see what he says....

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks for the advice!

Waiting for dr to call back with recommendations. All I know is when I dont eat gluten, I'm not sick. Whe n I do, I feel horrible!! We will see what he says....

Oh, heck. It doesn't matter whether you're celiac or not then. If it makes you sick, don't eat it! B)

If you have a positive biopsy and feel horrible when you eat gluten I can't imagine you won't get diagnosed with celiac anyway.

nora-n Rookie

It is teh biopsy that is the official test, not the blood test.

And, it is known that when blood testing freshly diagnosed celiacs (by biopsy), then 20% of them will have negative blood tests.

so the nurse is wrong.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorid888 Newbie

Welcome to the board.

False negatives are fairly common, but false positives are very rare.

Did they do a total serum IgA test? If your total immune system is not functioning fully, then false negatives will occur on the gluten-specific tests.

The test they did was Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody (tTG),IgA

Result was 7

Is there other tests in a total serum test, or is that it?

Thanks!

cassP Contributor

The test they did was Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody (tTG),IgA

Result was 7

Is there other tests in a total serum test, or is that it?

Thanks!

Total Iga Serum is a seperate test. it measures how well your immune system is working. if your Iga levels are below the normal range- then your TTG IGA at 7 could be innacurately low and a false negative or false weak positive.

Archived