zebaldwin

Should I Push For Biopsy Either Way?

Rate this topic

I talked to my doctor today and he will be doing the celiac panel on Friday (thank god).

My symptoms are not exactly gastrointestinal (slightly, but more related to headaches, brain fog, etc)

My question is, should I/can I try to get a biopsy done even if the blood work is negative? Either way I want to try gluten free.

Just wanted to get some feedback. thanks!

I didn't have any GI issues, but my blood was very positive. If it was negative I probably would not have had the biopsy.

It appears that those individuals who have neurological symptoms from gluten rather than gastrointestinal are less likely to test positive on either bloodwork or biopsy. If I were you and my blood tests were negative, I would skip the biopsy and go gluten free.

Ya, I was thinking about seeing what the blood said and then going gluten free either way.

Im 21 and in school, and my dad is very adamant about me doing everything I can to figure this out...to the point where it can become too much.

He wants me to get the biopsy either way...just need to convince him it might not be necessary or helpful...

Thanks for the help! I really hope the blood comes back positive. I will post here next week (hopefully) with results

Do go gluten free no matter what the tests say, it may help a great deal. When folks have more neuro impact than gut often the tests will be a false negative. I don't know if you also suffer from depression or other mood issues but if you do you may want to check out this thread and the links to NIH abstracts.