scottyg354

Family History Of Anti-Immune Diseases

Rate this topic

So, I've been having digestive problems for the past few years (probably about 7).

Been scoped, x-rayed, ultrasounded, bloodwork etc. Scope I had in the beginning of my episodes, everything else after. Recently was diagnosed Hypothyroid. My question is, my family on both sides have a long history of autoimmune disease.

On my mom's side:

Mom: Hypothyroid

Grandmother: Hypothyroid, Osteoperosis,

Grandfather: Hypothyroid, Type 2 Diabetic Turned Type 1

Aunt: Lupus

On my dad's side:

Dad: Type 1 Diabetic

Grandmother: Type 1 Diabetic

Grandfather: Unsure, I know he died of a heart attack.

Uncle with undiagnosed skin trouble.

Heart trouble in the whole family, plus a few cousins with Anemia.

I was also jaundice when I was born. Don't know if that plays a role in anything. Haven't been jaundice since.

Being the history of autoimmune in both sides of my family, would it be uncommon that my undiagnose stomach issues could be from Celiac. I know I keep posting, I just keeping digging deeper and deeper and I keep coming up with things that lead me to celiac.

Any input.

It is quite possible you have other undiagnosed celiacs in your family. Your family members with Type 1 diabetes should have already been tested as the NIH advises all Type 1 folks to be screened. You mention an uncle with skin issues, what are they? If they are rashes it might be a good idea for him to get biopsies for DH. It is also not uncommon for celiac to be associated with the development of other autoimmune issues or for people to have more than one autoimmune issue going on.

i think you're on the right track for sure- and like ravenwood said- i would not be surprised in the least- if u have other members in your family with undiagnosed celiac.

in addition to the DH... even if your uncle only had psoraisis or excema- these are commonly problems for those of us with gluten intolerance- ive had it all... as has my dad- whom im suspecting is also celiac, but he wont get tested.

heart problems and anemia are also issues with undiagnosed gluten intolerance...

you must get on top of this- and get a full celiac panel done- but make sure you're eating enough gluten prior to testing...

oh, and thyroid disease is ALSO extremely common with gluten intolerance... so get on it

i think you're on the right track for sure- and like ravenwood said- i would not be surprised in the least- if u have other members in your family with undiagnosed celiac.

in addition to the DH... even if your uncle only had psoraisis or excema- these are commonly problems for those of us with gluten intolerance- ive had it all... as has my dad- whom im suspecting is also celiac, but he wont get tested.

heart problems and anemia are also issues with undiagnosed gluten intolerance...

you must get on top of this- and get a full celiac panel done- but make sure you're eating enough gluten prior to testing...

oh, and thyroid disease is ALSO extremely common with gluten intolerance... so get on it

Well the doc agrees that I should try the diet. If it works, then I'll ask for some testing.

I actually always had extremely dry and ithcy elbows and knuckles. Almost to the point where they would crack and bleed. I wonder if that played a part. I don't know. All I know is i've had so many odd symptoms for quite a while.