This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another 'just One Crumb' And Cc Question

kathykoz

kathykoz Newbie

Hi,

I have searched across the forum for an answer regarding one crumb in a jar of jam (or whatever) but haven't quite found my answer. If there is a gluten crumb in a jar of jam is the jam contaminated or would I be able to remove the crumb (and a good portion around it) and consider the jam to be safe? Does the gluten crumb sitting in the product actually affect the product or is it just the crumb(s) that I need to be leary of?? I was thinking that if I just removed the crumb with a TB or so of the jam that it was sitting on that I would be ok but now I'm starting to wonder if that is not the case. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

the problem isn't the crumbs that you can SEE, but the potential smaller particles that you can not.

T.H. Community Regular

the problem isn't the crumbs that you can SEE, but the potential smaller particles that you can not.

Yup.

The good news is that the gluten doesn't multiply like germs, or mix into a substance like a liquid might. It just drops there and sits tight. So if you dropped a crumb in the jam yourself from above, and it wasn't from a knife using the same jam, maybe you could scoop off the top of the jam and be okay. There could be gluten crumbs smaller than you can see, so you'd want to try to get the entire top cleaned off. And do it in such a way that you aren't pushing a spoon through contaminated jam, dragging a little gluten along with it to the clean jam underneath, and messing up the entire thing anyway. Might be tricky.

If the crumb is from someone using the jam, unless you know everywhere that gluten cc'd knife touched in your jam, you're running a risk of gluten cc.

kathykoz Newbie

Ahhh - thank you both. I didn't really think about the culprit knife or spoon that dropped the crumb possibly having gone well into the jam with other crumbs or particles along for the ride as well...just saw one crumb left by someone other than me and thought I had gotten it. I think I'll buy a jar of preserves that only I would like :^) Thanks again!

Keela Newbie

The quickest way around this issue is to train your family in the scoop then spread method. Use a spoon to scoop what you want out of the jar and drop it onto whatever you ate eating. Then use a separate utensil to spread on your food. If you want more use the spoon again. If you can trust the people sharing your jar you will never have this problem again. We use it at home, but I don't share with my coworkers... They just don't get it.

kareng Grand Master

Get some tape at Walmart in pink or red. Put it on your personal jar of pb and jam. I even do it on my strawberry no one else wants just in case they have a friend over who wants it.

mbrookes Community Regular

Keela, we do that too and call it "glop and smear".

We solved the Mayo problem by buying different brands. My husband likes Dukes and I like Helman's, so no problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived