patylu

I Need More Help

Rate this topic

I have been eating gluten-free for about 3 weeks. I was feeling a lot better but this past week has not been great for me. Last Friday I had a terrible day and thought it was the prilosec I was taking. I stopped that and felt better. Now I have been running to the bathroom and feeling nauseous since Thursday night. Could I have a gallbladder issue? I have no idea what to do about how I'm feeling but I'm so tired of feeling bad.

I called and talked to the doctor on call yesterday. He said without looking at my labs but listening to me, he does not think I have gluten issues. He thinks that I have gall bladder issues and is going to get his nurse (who happens to be the same nurse as my doctor) to set up an ultrasound of my gall bladder. I really hope that this will provide me some answers. I'm so very tired of feeling so bad.

Did you get screened for celiac/gluten intolerence? You could have both issues going on.

Healing can be up and down in the beginning, especially since there are so many ways that gluten can sneak in. The fact that you were feeling better for a couple weeks is significant. I would stick with the diet and be very careful of cross contamination. Keeping a food and symptoms log can be helpful as at times the gluten reaction can be delayed. Staying gluten free will only effect tests for celiac it will not have any impact on testing for other issues.

Did you get screened for celiac/gluten intolerence? You could have both issues going on.

That's a good question. I really don't know the answer to that.

Healing can be up and down in the beginning, especially since there are so many ways that gluten can sneak in. The fact that you were feeling better for a couple weeks is significant. I would stick with the diet and be very careful of cross contamination. Keeping a food and symptoms log can be helpful as at times the gluten reaction can be delayed. Staying gluten free will only effect tests for celiac it will not have any impact on testing for other issues.

I'm going to continue with the gluten-free diet until told otherwise. For now, I don't want to add anything that would create more problems. I did feel better for about 10-14 days but now I'm back to feeling like I was - general upset stomach/nausea, tired, just overall not good. Occasionally I'll have a day when I'll feel VERY bad and have severe diarrhea, nausea, and sometimes vomiting. It takes me at least a day to recover from that - so that puts me out 2 days each time.

I did start a food journal today along with symptoms I feel throughout the day. I hope it will start to point to something.

I had gall bladder testing done today and it seemed to go very smoothly which makes me think that it's not my gall bladder causing problems. After the tests, I talked to 2 nurse friends and they didn't think (based on my reactions during the test) that my gall bladder will be to blame for this. I sort of hope it is though so I can get some relief.

Those gallbladder attacks are very inconsistent.

One day okay, next day down for the count. My brother had to have his out. I also had a friend who was overjoyed to get hers out.

Of course, gluten intolerance can make you think you have the world's worst gallbladder, too. I had this huge list of types of food I could not eat before going gluten free, then I could tolerate fats again. But I used to get really sick on any type of fried food, and was to the point of not using butter or margarine or mayo on anything. It was very strange, one of the things I didn't expect to happen. I was sort of nervous the first few times I tried a homefried potato a few years into the diet change.

Food journal is a good idea.