Jump to content
  • Sign Up
0
annegirl

Glutened Or New Allergy?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I've been gluten free since the end of January and I've seen a HUGE change for the good in all my crazy symptoms.

My problem now is that the D that I had intermittently is now coming on worse and I have a lot of rumbling in my stomach after consuming different foods. It's getting hard for me to tell which food I'm reacting to. I don't know if I'm continuing to react to say, what I had for breakfast because I will have worse D at night so maybe it could be dinner too???

Today for example: I had applesauce (I made it myself from homegrown apples) and corn chex for breakfast. I started feeling sick a bit after, broke out in some hives and all over felt sick, so I figured the chex were on my no list for now....but fastforward to dinner and all of a sudden my stomach is rumbling worse and I have bad D. I don't know if that's a continued reaction from the chex or if I've added a new issue to my list of things I can't eat (gluten, soy, rice, lactose). I make all my food myself, I'm eating basically fruits, veggies, potatoes and chicken or hamburger. The chex was the only thing I was eating packaged and listed "gluten free." For dinner I made a soup with black beans, hamburger, tomato sauce and green chilies and a salad with olive oil dressing.

Can something that you're reacting to last all day and display worse symptoms 12 hours later? I'm just feeling like I'm going a little crazy. I'm still feeling great in between discovering things that make me sick, and I'm more than willing to cut stuff out while I'm hyper sensitive and add them in slowly later....I just need to know what it is I'm reacting to!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you putting on the Rice Chex as a milk alternative?

Yes the reaction to something you are intolerant to can show up later in the day or even a few days later. It can make it hard to pinpoint what it is that is getting us. A symptom and food log can be helpful in finding a pattern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really sensitive and I know I can't eat any of the Chex cereals. I tried them all & I always get acid reflux, a sore throat and a tender tummy the next day. It usually lasts for three days. This is my usual gluten reaction, but I'm not sure if there's CC of gluten in the Chex or not or if I'm reacting to something else in them. It's still a mystery to me. :unsure: It sounds like your reacting to them also. I just wouldn't eat them & see if you feel better. If you haven't started a food journal already, it would be a good idea to start one & see if you react to other foods. It really helps me since I always get reactions the next day.

I hope you feel better! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today for example: I had applesauce (I made it myself from homegrown apples) and corn chex for breakfast. I started feeling sick a bit after, broke out in some hives and all over felt sick, so I figured the chex were on my no list for now...

Hives is an allergic reaction that will show up right after eating a food you are allergic to. Do you know if you are allergic to a certain food?

Intolerance side effects can show up long after you eat the food, so your D might be a reaction to food you ate yesterday.

Do you keep a food diary? That will help you pin point which foods are giving you problems. If you find that you get hives every time you eat corn chex, you might be allergic to something in the chex. Or, if you get D every time you eat your home made applesauce, then something in it is giving you D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so starting a food journal right away. I've been meaning to for a couple weeks but I'm doing it for real now.

Yes, the chex are way gone. I'm giving them to my sister to eat.

I will just start writing everything down when I get symptoms and after a while I'm sure patterns will pop out.

Interestingly enough, I am having more gastric issues now that I'm gluten free than I did before....it's like I'm finally giving my system enough of a break to try and deal with stuff and it's extra sensitive. My other symptoms are so incredibly improved I can't believe it. I've gone from needing 9-10 hours of sleep (and still feeling tired) to now not being tired enough to sleep until after 12 and getting up 6 hours later ready to greet the day! I feel like a new person, so I can deal with a little cramping and D while everything shakes out.

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

×