Kimbalou

Buy Noodles At Asian Markets!

Rate this topic

Today I went to Ranch 99 Market and bought rice pasta for $1.49 a bag! Some brands were .99! I will never buy gluten free pasta at other stores for $4-5 a bag! I am so excited to try these noodles. I feel better knowing the asian stores have much better deals on pasta!

Today I went to Ranch 99 Market and bought rice pasta for $1.49 a bag! Some brands were .99! I will never buy gluten free pasta at other stores for $4-5 a bag! I am so excited to try these noodles. I feel better knowing the asian stores have much better deals on pasta!

Can you tell me what other ingredients are in the noodles? I'm trying to find noodles that I can eat. Thanks.

They just say rice and water. Or rice flour and water.

I do the same thing. The Asian rice noodles work well in things like chicken noodle soup or Tuna noodle casseroles. I have found that they don't have much flavor, though. And they can fall apart easily. I still buy Tinkyada brown rice pasta for my spaghetti and lasagna noodles. The Asian rice noodles don't seem to asorb flavors easily and they get hard again when cold so they aren't the best choice for something like a pasta salad. Another good thing to get at the Asian markets is rice paper wrappers and rice flour. Rice flour is much cheaper there than anywhere else.

*another tip: the rice flours and tapioca flours, potato starch, etc., are SOOO cheap at the Asian market. I just got a pound of sweet rice flour for $1.49 (take that, whole foods!)

Great for baking.

I also saw ingredients like evaporated cane sugar, coconut jelly, all kinds of unusual things that us gluten-free cooking/baking people may need and can't locate or afford.

That's been my trick for the past couple of years. Because I often cooked Asian dishes before, it was one I figured out pretty quick. I buy the wide flat ones, and break them into smaller pieces to replace wide egg noodles. I get the thinner, flat ones for linguini, and even the very thin, brown rice ones for spaghetti.

I also buy rice crackers for .99 a 3.5oz bag (well, until last week, when they went up to 1.29 a bag :angry: ). They are a great alternative to sandwiches with things like egg salad, chicken salad, peanut butter and banana slice :D, etc.

I usually get mine at my local grocery store, which has a great Asian selection, but a new Asian market opened within easy driving distance of my house, and the selection is incredible. They even have some rice crackers w/ a bit of a sugar glaze that I eat for cookies.