dmeagan

Fatty Liver, Hashimotos, Celiac?/

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Hashimotes in 2007 and after that I was tested for celiac disease because they are common together. My antibodies from the blood test said I had celiac (twice), but a biopsy said I did not. So for the last 2-3 years I have just contiuned to eat gluten and I recently went in for a physical and blood work and an ultra sound said I have a fatty liver. I have never had a drink of alcchol in my life and I am skinny at 5 ft 5in and 106lbs. I was wondering if this could be due to having celiac disease?

I was diagnosed with Hashimotes in 2007 and after that I was tested for celiac disease because they are common together. My antibodies from the blood test said I had celiac (twice), but a biopsy said I did not. So for the last 2-3 years I have just contiuned to eat gluten and I recently went in for a physical and blood work and an ultra sound said I have a fatty liver. I have never had a drink of alcchol in my life and I am skinny at 5 ft 5in and 106lbs. I was wondering if this could be due to having celiac disease?

Here's a couple of references for you. :)

ere's a couple of references for you. :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10394349

CONCLUSION: Coeliac disease should be considered in any case of fatty liver of unknown cause. Strict gluten-free dietary treatment of the underlying cause can quickly lead to complete regression of the hepatic changes

http://emedicine.med...175472-overview

Other factors, such as drugs (eg, amiodarone, tamoxifen, methotrexate), alcohol, metabolic abnormalities (eg, galactosemia, glycogen storage diseases, homocystinuria, tyrosinemia), nutritional status (eg, overnutrition, severe malnutrition, total parenteral nutrition [TPN], starvation diet), or other health problems (eg, celiac sprue, Wilson disease) may contribute to fatty liver disease

yes in my opinion- it could most definitely be from having celiac, yet continuing to eat gluten. my mom and i have both had congested gall bladders (as well as hashi). eating gluten when your body isnt designed for it can lead to all kinds of things.

why did u go back to gluten after positive blood tests??

remember- fatty liver doesnt have to have any thing to do with alcohol... did u ever see Super Size Me?? after 2 weeks on the McD's diet- his doctor said he had the liver of an alcoholic

Because the biopsy said I was negative

you can have a negative on your biopsy and still have celiac... villi destruction can be patchy- if your doc didnt take enough biopsies from different areas- he could have missed something.

if your bloodwork is pretty positive- (even tho many docs say you have to have the biopsy gold standard)- than you have your proof

• Upvote 1