Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dmeagan

Fatty Liver, Hashimotos, Celiac?/

I was diagnosed with Hashimotes in 2007 and after that I was tested for celiac disease because they are common together. My antibodies from the blood test said I had celiac (twice), but a biopsy said I did not. So for the last 2-3 years I have just contiuned to eat gluten and I recently went in for a physical and blood work and an ultra sound said I have a fatty liver. I have never had a drink of alcchol in my life and I am skinny at 5 ft 5in and 106lbs. I was wondering if this could be due to having celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was diagnosed with Hashimotes in 2007 and after that I was tested for celiac disease because they are common together. My antibodies from the blood test said I had celiac (twice), but a biopsy said I did not. So for the last 2-3 years I have just contiuned to eat gluten and I recently went in for a physical and blood work and an ultra sound said I have a fatty liver. I have never had a drink of alcchol in my life and I am skinny at 5 ft 5in and 106lbs. I was wondering if this could be due to having celiac disease?

Here's a couple of references for you. :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

ere's a couple of references for you. :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10394349

CONCLUSION: Coeliac disease should be considered in any case of fatty liver of unknown cause. Strict gluten-free dietary treatment of the underlying cause can quickly lead to complete regression of the hepatic changes

http://emedicine.med...175472-overview

Other factors, such as drugs (eg, amiodarone, tamoxifen, methotrexate), alcohol, metabolic abnormalities (eg, galactosemia, glycogen storage diseases, homocystinuria, tyrosinemia), nutritional status (eg, overnutrition, severe malnutrition, total parenteral nutrition [TPN], starvation diet), or other health problems (eg, celiac sprue, Wilson disease) may contribute to fatty liver disease

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

yes in my opinion- it could most definitely be from having celiac, yet continuing to eat gluten. my mom and i have both had congested gall bladders (as well as hashi). eating gluten when your body isnt designed for it can lead to all kinds of things.

why did u go back to gluten after positive blood tests??

remember- fatty liver doesnt have to have any thing to do with alcohol... did u ever see Super Size Me?? after 2 weeks on the McD's diet- his doctor said he had the liver of an alcoholic

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Because the biopsy said I was negative

you can have a negative on your biopsy and still have celiac... villi destruction can be patchy- if your doc didnt take enough biopsies from different areas- he could have missed something.

if your bloodwork is pretty positive- (even tho many docs say you have to have the biopsy gold standard)- than you have your proof

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(