This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Testing Starting Soon Again. Need Some Support

scottyg354

scottyg354 Enthusiast

So I got to get a colonoscopy on March 30 and am a little nervous. Doc said it sounds like i'm not absorbing properly, due to the fact that I have yellow and orange stools regardless of what I eat at least 3-4 times a week. He said after the colonoscopy, if everything is clear he is going to have the GI start running other tests. He said Celiac testing as well as malabsorption testing would be included.

Since my original fear was that I had Colon Cancer (which at 26 is pretty uncommon), it would help to know if anyone else here had the same sort of fears before testing commenced. I doubt its cancer but Crohns and UC also worry me a bit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Why don't they do "both ends" (endo & colon) at once? It would save time & money from doing one one day and the other another day. He can biopsy the small & large intestine & have a nice look at the stomach while he's there.

you have been gluten-free for a short time, so if you want to stay gluten-free, its now or never.

Just make sure he doesn't think he is looking for Celiac in the large intestine. If he is, then its time to get a new GI. Looking for Celiac in the large intestine is like the GYN was looking for cervical cancer in my ear, I would know they didn't know what they were doing.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

Why don't they do "both ends" (endo & colon) at once? It would save time & money from doing one one day and the other another day. He can biopsy the small & large intestine & have a nice look at the stomach while he's there.

you have been gluten-free for a short time, so if you want to stay gluten-free, its now or never.

Just make sure he doesn't think he is looking for Celiac in the large intestine. If he is, then its time to get a new GI. Looking for Celiac in the large intestine is like the GYN was looking for cervical cancer in my ear, I would know they didn't know what they were doing.

No, my GP just wants to make sure everything in my colon is alright due to the alternating D and C. He said he knows about the Celiac blood tests and everything and we can do that after the scope. So if thats the case, I guess I might as well stay on Gluten until the test is complete.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

No, my GP just wants to make sure everything in my colon is alright due to the alternating D and C. He said he knows about the Celiac blood tests and everything and we can do that after the scope. So if thats the case, I guess I might as well stay on Gluten until the test is complete.

There is, IMHO no reason not to do both procedures at the same time, except that he will be paid for two procedures, the person who does the anesthesia will be able to charge twice, the room will be able to bill for two procedures etc. He should have ordered the blood tests the day you saw him, there is no reason to wait until after the lower scope is done except so the doctor can make double the money. And yes you do need to stay on gluten until the tests are all done.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

All I know is I'm tired of feeling like poop. Excuse my language. So I'm glad that I at least I have some testing coming up, everything lately has beengetting overwhelming.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

All I know is I'm tired of feeling like poop. Excuse my language. So I'm glad that I at least I have some testing coming up, everything lately has beengetting overwhelming.

Please call your doctor and ask him to give you a lab slip for a complete celiac panel. Unless you have been gluten free for a while and if I remember correctly you haven't been. There is no reason for him to hold off on at least the blood test. I understand how overwhelming it is as I waited sick for years before they even thought to test and more very painful years while they did lower scopes but never did the upper. Your doctor knows about the panel and can order it he doesn't have to have a GI doctor do it.

dbhickma Rookie

Don't ever worry about what a Dr tells you unless you have DEFINITIVE PROOF. In my very early 20's I was told I might have colon cancer once by my GI. All he really did was run blood work and push a bunch of pills at me saying all I had was an over active gallbladder, IBS and acid reflux. He never did anything else other than charge me for multiple office visits. I didn't go back to see him. Also in my 20's I was told I might have Uterine Cancer. Didn't pan out. The list goes on. Drs are taught how to treat symptoms, not how to actually CURE or prevent, so you have to go through a couple to find one that actually cares or isn't toooo burnt out by the time you see him. Hang in there. And I to agree on the double billing by Drs, etc. It's been done to me several times. Hang in there, things will get better :D Oh, always ask for a copy of your chart. Compare what you were billed for and what they actually did. I've been charged for stuff they never really did.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

scottyg354 Enthusiast

Don't ever worry about what a Dr tells you unless you have DEFINITIVE PROOF. In my very early 20's I was told I might have colon cancer once by my GI. All he really did was run blood work and push a bunch of pills at me saying all I had was an over active gallbladder, IBS and acid reflux. He never did anything else other than charge me for multiple office visits. I didn't go back to see him. Also in my 20's I was told I might have Uterine Cancer. Didn't pan out. The list goes on. Drs are taught how to treat symptoms, not how to actually CURE or prevent, so you have to go through a couple to find one that actually cares or isn't toooo burnt out by the time you see him. Hang in there. And I to agree on the double billing by Drs, etc. It's been done to me several times. Hang in there, things will get better :D Oh, always ask for a copy of your chart. Compare what you were billed for and what they actually did. I've been charged for stuff they never really did.

My GP is a good guy. Best I've had so far. Watched my mom go through the ringer with the last guy, we all thought she was going to die and he was just blowing it off. She would sleep day in and day our for like 6 months, turns out she had a severe staph infection. Took that long and for her to be in agony until some one found it.

Colon Cancer is scary stuff though. Usually if you type in any GI symptom colon cancer comes up, so it's hard not to worry, the way I look at it though is i've been having symptoms for about 6-7 years and I've gained wieght and never really saw blood in the toilet. Sometimes streaks on the paper but it's from hemmies. So you would think that If i had it for that long that I would probably be a little worse off.

I think what gets me is not knowing.

Archived