Jungle

1St Meal Out For Dinner

Rate this topic

We went to the neighbouring small town to do some business and although we planned on eating at home we had to eat out. Before going gluten free eating in small town restaurants was usually your basic grilled cheese, fries, burger etc. with poor service.

Tonight I had to explain to an untrained waitress about gluten (she had no idea what I was talking about) and ordered steak and a baked potato 'cause that was my best bet(likely only option in this restaurant).

Mushy frozen mixed veggies, nuked (not warm) potato, and an overcooked grisely (not quite warm) steak. After trying to be optimistic about the whole event. Watching my husband and kids eat the things I would have ordered. I just started to cry. This is the new reality. Lower my expectations. I gave up and sat in the car instead. I'd rather not eat, than eat that.

We went to the neighbouring small town to do some business and although we planned on eating at home we had to eat out. Before going gluten free eating in small town restaurants was usually your basic grilled cheese, fries, burger etc. with poor service.

Tonight I had to explain to an untrained waitress about gluten (she had no idea what I was talking about) and ordered steak and a baked potato 'cause that was my best bet(likely only option in this restaurant).

Mushy frozen mixed veggies, nuked (not warm) potato, and an overcooked grisely (not quite warm) steak. After trying to be optimistic about the whole event. Watching my husband and kids eat the things I would have ordered. I just started to cry. This is the new reality. Lower my expectations. I gave up and sat in the car instead. I'd rather not eat, than eat that.

Sorry to hear that.

I am sorry to here it does get better i was the same way i would get mad cause there was nothing i could eat but a little over a year into this i just go and enjoy the company of my family if at all possible i will take my own food if not just have glass of water or coffee and enjoy time with wife and kids.

I am sorry that was such a dismal experience for you. I had the same awful experiences when I first went out to dinner after diagnosis and they were really top shelf restaurants so we spent a fortune for meals I couldn't eat. One even has a 5 star rating but they were clueless.

Do bring something with you whenever there is a chance you might need to eat outside the house. Many of us carry a bag of safe snacks with us at all times. If the meal isn't safe or inedible you can bring out your bag, get something to drink and just enjoy the company.

It gets better, especially when you start finding which restaurants are best for you. I use my GPS to find specific restaurants by name if I'm traveling - such as Outback - that's our family favorite.

However, there may always be situations that will be depressing - and therefore you may want to avoid them if you can so you don't end up in your car. I've told my husband that I won't go to the foodcourt at the mall anymore - the smells of the gluteny pizza and Mongolian noodles and Philly steaks are just too strong and depressing. I also won't go to Olive Garden - their gluten-free options aren't worth sitting watching everyone else eat good pasta.

Good luck!