Rate this topic

Hi,

My initial bloodwork recently came back as positive for Celiac. I had the test done thru my family doc and now have an appt to see a GI on Monday.

However, I have a two year old daughter, who has never shown any signs or symptoms of celiac. Then again, my signs were pretty subtle too so that's a tough gauge to go by. We wouldn't be good parents if I didn't at least have her tested at some point. When is a good time (age) to have her tested? And, how reliable are the tests in kids? She just turned 2 in late December.

I'll discuss all this with the GI on Monday afternoon but would appreciate any other parents feedback. Thanks.

Jonny

I've heard the testing for young kids can have false negatives, but I also know of several children (around 18 months) that were diagnosed. I don't think it would be a bad idea to have the blood test done on your daughter. It's recommended to keep testing every 2 years, I think, when there's a family member that has celiac disease. My son has it and was diagnosed in November 2010. My husband, myself, and my daughter still need to be tested.

Hi,

My initial bloodwork recently came back as positive for Celiac. I had the test done thru my family doc and now have an appt to see a GI on Monday.

However, I have a two year old daughter, who has never shown any signs or symptoms of celiac. Then again, my signs were pretty subtle too so that's a tough gauge to go by. We wouldn't be good parents if I didn't at least have her tested at some point. When is a good time (age) to have her tested? And, how reliable are the tests in kids? She just turned 2 in late December.

I'll discuss all this with the GI on Monday afternoon but would appreciate any other parents feedback. Thanks.

Jonny