DJ Jess

Glutened Twice In One Week.

Rate this topic

Oy. I was diagnosed in January and have been 100% gluten-free since then. Last week I was traveling for work and some friends of mine did a TON of research to find a place where we could eat. They found a restaurant with gluten-free pasta and we were all very excited about it. I asked the waitress and she said that one of the owner's family members had celiac so that felt reassuring, though I did have some concern about the strainers used to strain the pasta. For some reason I didn't speak up about that part.

Well, an hour after the meal I got all the abdominal symptoms. Mine don't include the big D, but I get very tight, it hurts a LOT and I get extremely bloated. My theory is it must have been the strainer used? I will call them and let them know.

Then, the day after I got home from my trip it was my birthday and one of my employees was really excited to bring me in a 'gluten free' cake from a local bakery. (We live in a really progressive area so I did trust that this place would be handling things right.) It was a flourless chocolate torte thing and VERY VERY good.

An hour later, bam, same symptoms as usual/the other day. My theory this time is that maybe the used regular flour to flour the pan. Who knows - clearly there is some cross contamination that happened and I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out what it could have been.

So the downside of all that is clearly the pain and discomfort but also it makes me even more afraid to eat out. The upside is that my boyfriend REALLY gets it about the CC issues. I'm not saying he didn't before, but we hadn't had it happen so we weren't sure how sensitive I'd end up being, etc. Having him see how much pain I was in from the cake at work really brought it home I think.

The day after it happens the pain is gone but I have the big C and am very bloated. The day after THAT is when the itchiness start happening.

Anyway, I don't know what my question is, just wanted to share in case it helps someone, since we all are always learning about this. Today I feel fine. :)

Then, the day after I got home from my trip it was my birthday and one of my employees was really excited to bring me in a 'gluten free' cake from a local bakery. (We live in a really progressive area so I did trust that this place would be handling things right.) It was a flourless chocolate torte thing and VERY VERY good.

An hour later, bam, same symptoms as usual/the other day. My theory this time is that maybe the used regular flour to flour the pan. Who knows - clearly there is some cross contamination that happened and I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out what it could have been.

From what my doctor says, there is a lot of new research showing that there is appreciable amounts of gluten in things that were thought to be safe, so the cake may have been made with some of those ingredients. Sorghum is one thing. I'll try to get the website that has the chart with all the figures on it. Also, some people are so sensitive to gluten that even if it's <5 ppm they can be affected. Bummer!!