MommyMay

Rash!(Someone Please Help!)

Rate this topic

Has anyone suffered from a painful hive like rash that comes more often at night with stomach nauseousness?? My back ,chest and leg's are all so itchy I feel like I'm going to scratch my self to death and puke at the same time :(

Yes, many of us suffer from a rash called Dermatitis Herpetiformis. It's a result of ingesting both gluten and iodine. If you've already adopted a gluten-free diet, try eliminating iodine, too--that should help. Iodine is in iodized salt, seafood, asparagus, salty foods (such as chips, nuts, crackers, etc.), and dairy foods. However, with regard to the dairy, usually the organic dairy is fine.

You might wish to take a look at the forum on Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH), which can be found if you scroll down farther in the list of forums.

Yes, many of us suffer from a rash called Dermatitis Herpetiformis. It's a result of ingesting both gluten and iodine. If you've already adopted a gluten-free diet, try eliminating iodine, too--that should help. Iodine is in iodized salt, seafood, asparagus, salty foods (such as chips, nuts, crackers, etc.), and dairy foods. However, with regard to the dairy, usually the organic dairy is fine.

You might wish to take a look at the forum on Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH), which can be found if you scroll down farther in the list of forums.

I'm actually allergic to the Iodine cleaner they use during surgery & cat scans in the hospital .I found that out when I broke out with severe hives after they injected dye . Do you think the 2 could be related?

Yes, it could be related. If you have DH/Celiac then you would have accumulated antibodies in the skin and when the autoimmune reaction is high enough the rash develops. It is particularly intense at night. Severely itchy and painful and gluten is the cause. Or gluten plus iodine. Iodine alone as Rosetapper said can keep the antibodies reacting so the rash can take a long time to heal. There is a skin biopsy test for this and it will show IgA antibodies in the skin adjacent to the rash, not on the lesion itself.

With the nausea too, it certainly sounds like DH/Celiac.

If you want to be tested for this make an appointment with a dermatologist as soon as possible. If you are gluten free it can result in a false negative test. Sorry you have to feel that way, I have it too.

Yes, the two may be connected. I'm HIGHLY allergic to iodine, and when hospital staff during a recent surgery used iodine to clean the surgical area (even though I had stated NOT to use it due to allergy), I broke out in a horrible head-to-toe rash that lasted a month.